Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Pastrami - Perfected

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm close to trying some pastrami myself - picked up an eye of round and I've just finished the brining stage. Doing the desalinization step now, then will do the dry rub...Question: I've got to fly a trip again that would have me back on Thursday. Is it OK to desalinate for a day, and then let the meat with the dry rub sit in the fridge for 4 days before cooking? Got to leave on Monday....

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep should be fine.

• Ironhorse
      Ironhorse commented
      Editing a comment
      Eye of the round is usually very dry cut of meat unless cooked to a rare only. Very little fat or marbleing. I have never had any luck with it. But it is great for jerky

Thanks, can't wait to try it out. Just got the Anova WiFi sous vide cooker and can't wait to try out your method of finishing... Makes my mouth water just looking at the pics. Thanks for the reply...

Comment

You bet. Come back with pics!

Comment

Not sure if this is the right location but I want to say thank you, guys are amazing. I was so busy in culinary school that I had littl time for reading AR. I BANKED what AR had taught me and I often feel "kinda smart" when listening to others brag about their BBQ. Anyhow.....
        I have an 7.5lbs I pulled from desalination tonight and sitting with fresh pepper and coriander rub ( my fave) on it. I'm using a combination of experience, Michael Rhulmans and meatheads recipes. Major dif is I have more salt, 1 week brine and 2x times MH pickling spice, I was already into this brisket ( what you call packer I think, in a vac seal bag which I trimmed the fat off of and most of point end for my burger grind. I got this one for $2.67lbs. I'm ok with that burger price for a grind. It was a small one at 13lbs) when I returned to the light and saw the error of my digression. I should have documented with photos.

Mainly though I sincerely appreciate the passion and pure love which Ya'all put forth and show to us rookies to the pit.
        Gracias

Comment

HouseHomey comments like yours make our day. Thank you!

Comment

I had some issues with wind and had to pull my brisket off early. After steaming I took the advice of pit boss and browned the top. Some bugs to wrk out but it was a great effort and tasty. This was a combination of recipes and experience. This brined for a week, desalinated for 8 hours, was coated with pepper and coriander, 9 hours on the Weber with applewood, steamed to 207 and browned. Perhaps I should have waited to brown. This was yesterday and the sandwich for breakfast today was delicious. Great advice pit boss. Very barky.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks very tasty to me.

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks crazy delicious!

Looks like you done pretty good and have the right corrections in mind for the next cook. Nice job!

Comment

If it tastes as good as it looks, I don't think you have a lot to "correct"! Well done!

Comment

When I looked at those photos, HouseHomey , I said "whoa" and my stomach started to rumble even though we've just finished supper. Beautiful pastrami. Great job!

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kind words. Thank you. Honestly. I'm such a spaz I should have taken pics,of the sandwich the next day. It was Better and quickly sautéed in clarified butter with an egg on top. Oink oink yum!

Pit Boss, is that the ANOVA circulator?if so, I was wondering how hot a bath it can make. I did asparagus at 185F, but it took a while to get that hot. Did you boil the water and then set it up? Trying this today.

Comment

Originally posted by W.A. View Post
                  Pit Boss, is that the ANOVA circulator?if so, I was wondering how hot a bath it can make. I did asparagus at 185F, but it took a while to get that hot. Did you boil the water and then set it up? Trying this today.

Yep it's the Anova. I haven't tried getting the water over 195 F but it will go at least that high, and I don't boil my water first. If you're in a hurry I'd nuke the water a few minutes to get it close to your desired temp. I wouldn't boil it though. Might take longer for it to cool down to your desired temp than it starting with hot tap water and heating up to your desired temp.

Comment

David Parrish, Adding ice cools the water nice and quick. Add a few cubes at a time and watch the temp drop. Fast and easy.

Comment

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good point! That'd work great.

Dave, David Parrish , I'm getting ready to do this. I have a couple of questions,

1. Did you sous vide right after taking the meat off the grill?

2. How did you reheat the leftover meat?

3. How did you serve the pastrami to guests? On a plate with sides like brisket? In sandwiches?

And the most important question: Why did you share? I would have hoarded and eaten it all myself! Just kidding. My family always swarm the kitchen when the meat comes off the smoker. No chance of squirrelling any away.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Potkettleblack
                      Indeed. Wait 'til you taste it.

K.

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have two lbs of boneless shorties in my freezer right now. I have three SV devices, I have three cambro containers and untold ziplocks. I'm ready.

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Potkettleblack you are going to LOVE the result. It's Da BOMB.

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                    Dave, David Parrish , I'm getting ready to do this. I have a couple of questions,

Kathryn
                    1. Did you sous vide right after taking the meat off the grill?
                    I chilled it first as I wanted to serve it at a later date.

2. How did you reheat the leftover meat?
                    SV bath is the best way, but microwaving in a covered dish to keep moisture in works great too

3. How did you serve the pastrami to guests? On a plate with sides like brisket? In sandwiches?
                    Served it on sub sandwiches. I had to put the meat on myself or the first few guests would have hogged it all. At one point I feared fighting would break out. lol

And the most important question: Why did you share? I would have hoarded and eaten it all myself! Just kidding. My family always swarm the kitchen when the meat comes off the smoker. No chance of squirrelling any away.

Bragging rights!

Comment

Well, you certainly deserved those bragging rights, Dave David Parrish .

I'm so happy to hear that you saved and sous vided (is that a verb?) at a later date. It makes entertaining so much easier when the meat is already prepared.

I usually slice my pastrami when it is cold (I take it up to 203 on the smoker and enjoy a few slices hot before putting the leftover large piece(s) away for slicing the next day), then reheat it in small batches in the microwave (just enough to take the chill off) before making sammies with it in my panini-maker. The meat is nice and hot (and very tender) at the end of that process. I'm eager to try your sous vide step, though, to see how it compares.

Thanks so much for providing the additional information.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here