Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami!

I don't know why it's easier for me to do this "live", but it is.

I put a 3lb piece of corned beef into cold water Friday night around 11PM, and changed the water at 8PM Saturday evening, and 11PM Saturday night. Son of a gun I forgot about the time change and I'm an hour late getting this son of a gun on at 10AM instead of 9AM like I wanted, but oh well. The meat doesn't know what time it is, but we have to be somewhere at 5PM.

I used the Meathead recipe for the rub. It is on the Big Green Egg with a pit temp of 250*, target temp of 203*, and I'm using the CeramicChef smoke box modification, using a small aluminum loaf pan stuffed full of pecan chunks.

Mmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Comment

160, not any bark to speak of yet, but progressing nicely.

Comment

Keep going! Don't be happy until the bark is nice and set. It makes a big difference.

Comment

How high do you take in the internal temp? Still need to do this. I bought a whole packer, separated it and put the flat in the meat locker. Well one thing lead to another and I never ended up making it and the flat went bad because I didn't cook it quick enough. Can't believe I didn't put it in the freezer in time. I will be doing another run at it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
            How high do you take in the internal temp? Still need to do this. I bought a whole packer, separated it and put the flat in the meat locker. Well one thing lead to another and I never ended up making it and the flat went bad because I didn't cook it quick enough. Can't believe I didn't put it in the freezer in time. I will be doing another run at it though.
            Depends on the cooker. My experience is that cookers with higher airflow will set the bark at lower temperatures, and it's almost always past the stall. I think 170 F to 180 F is typical, but you could find yourself higher or lower than those temps when you get the bark you want.

Comment

I went to 201. Cook time was 16 hours unwrapped the whole time. Was more worried about the bark than the actual internal temp. Course I'm like that with everything. Even pizza rolls in the oven.

Comment

This one is pretty small, 3lbs, and only about 1 3/4" thick at its thickest. I sure hope it doesn't take 16 hours, we have to be somewhere at 5!

If I need to cambro it, I'll wrap it in foil and put it in a 170* oven.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mosca, Best of Luck ☘🍀☘! Tom if anyone can it's You!
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I pulled it off the smoke and put it over steam for the final 45* or so, it was just past the stall at 160.

Eh. Very dry. And I shouldn't use that Hungarian paprika, it is a bit on the hot side. But the flavor is pretty good. I'm cambroing it, it might improve.

Comment

If it got plenty bark and is tender it can't be too dry for me. I thrive on flats.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
                    Eh. Very dry. And I shouldn't use that Hungarian paprika, it is a bit on the hot side. But the flavor is pretty good. I'm cambroing it, it might improve.
                    The ends always taste hotter than the slices do, Mosca . By the time it's sliced, the amount of spice from the bark is just right, at least for me.

Did you use Hungarian Hot paprika or Hungarian Sweet paprika?

Kathryn

Comment

I'm usually 7-8hrs in smoke until good bark. But that's not on a kamado either. That was a long desalination, do you like less salt?

Comment

It just wasn't that good. The flavor was excellent, but it was not tender at all, and heavy and dry as clay. It might have been the cut of meat itself, it was almost completely stripped of fat.

And to top everything off, because we were going out tonight I wrapped it and put it in the oven set to 170 for a cambro and I forgot to turn the oven on. Got home, checked it after 5 hours: 81*.

I don't know. I have two more larger cuts, each with a nice sliver of point, desalinating to try again on Tuesday. So I have a couple days to figure it out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here