Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cross rib roast...🤔

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross rib roast...🤔

I actually bought this by mistake. It was in the display case with chuck roasts. I thought a 4.4 pound Chuckie would be great. When I got home I looked at the label and it said Cross rib roast. I looked that up on google because I'd never heard of the cut before.

"The cross rib which sits just below the blade on the chuck and above the brisket is a leaner cut than the blade but still very flavorful and many prefer the cross rib over the blade when cooking a chuck roast recipe. The chuck muscles are heavily exercised and contain a lot of connective tissue and must be slow cooked at a low heat. A shoulder roast will be tough, stringy and very dry if not cooked with liquid."

I decided I'd cook it just like a Chuckie.

I put it in the Sous Vide bath tub @141° for 36 hours after I had dry brined it overnight. This morning I took it out of the SV bag and blotted it dry and put Memphis Dust on it. I put it in the BGE with some hickory wood chunks. I elevated it up high in the dome where it gets better circulation and airflow and set the DigiQ to cook at 225°. I'm thinking I'll get it to 200° and then test it with the probe to see how soft it is.

I'm going to serve this to my son and his family tonight at 6:30ish. I'll make a mushroom and asapagus risotto to serve with.
    Attached Files

The cook is done and dinner has been served... No more cross rib roasts for me.😎 It was tasty because of the Memphis Dust but it is to lean to cook to a high temperature. I'll stick to chuckie's.😆 The risotto was great.👍
    Attached Files

Comment

It looks good, you could've lied to us and said it was Uh-MAZE-ZING!

Have you ever had Hailstone Cabernet?

Comment

Huskee ...

Had I lied... My fellow Pit members MIGHT have felt motivated/curious about that cut of meat and bought some out of curiosity.😏 That would be a dirty deed.😡 My credibility in the Pit is more important than hiding a failure.

However the bread, ciabatta bread, the risotto and the wine were excellent.😉

No... I've never tried Hailstone Cab. Is it a California wine? What region?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Hailstone is a Napa winery. Impact is the name of their cabernet. I acquired a bottle and have read good things so I'm saving it for an occasion.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Wine... Is like a box of Chocolate's, you never know what you're going to get.🤔

That's not a wine I'm familiar with which means it could be excellent.😆

Same thing happened to me a long time ago. I wasn't paying attention while shopping. I'm not sure if cross rib would be edible ground into hamburger meat. I don't plan on finding out.

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Should be fine for burger meat if you add enough fat to the grind.

I used to be a meat cutter for a large food chain. We often cut meat for appearance and profitability and with no regard
        to how it was for the consumer. Also, I believe some cuts are placed in the case next to or mixed in with more desirable cuts. Even with the cutting training I received, which has been extremely valuable when picking out meat to cook, I never learned how to cook the "tougher" cuts until I started reading Amazing Ribs!

Comment

Gator Lau ...

The grocery business is a very, very low profit margin business. I can understand them playing the angles whenever possible to get extra profits. Us consumers be damned.😡

This was a good lesson for me. Read the labels even though you think you know what you're doing. I should have known that a 4.4 pound Chuck roast was a red light.😎

Comment

Originally posted by Gator Lau View Post
            I used to be a meat cutter for a large food chain. We often cut meat for appearance and profitability and with no regard
            to how it was for the consumer. Also, I believe some cuts are placed in the case next to or mixed in with more desirable cuts. Even with the cutting training I received, which has been extremely valuable when picking out meat to cook, I never learned how to cook the "tougher" cuts until I started reading Amazing Ribs!

Interesting comment. Many years ago I had a friend who had been to meat cutting school for a large grocery chain. I asked him to help me cut up a deer. His answer was "All I learned in meat cutting school was how to hide the most bone in the least meat & still make it look good. That's not what you want for your own meat. Just bone it out yourself." Have done so ever since.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here