Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Labor day cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labor day cook

Keeping it simple on this Labor day. Got some beautiful racks of beef short ribs. I asked the butcher if they had uncut short ribs. I salted and left them uncovered in the refrigerator for 3 days. I rubbed them with peanut oil and applied my basic beef rub of coarse ground black pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder. Hang time. I'm going to experiment with hanging Kalbi in the PBC. Aaaaaaaand done! Beef ribs came out beautifully Did a side of creamed spinach. Kalbi was fantastic. I'd have loved a caramelized color. A fault on my part because the ribs were still in there and I didn't want to crank the heat up.

Correction, I'd have loved a deeper caramelized color on the Kalbi

Comment

Great pics as always Ernest. Can I ask out of curiosity...why do you leave the beef ribs uncovered? For drier bark?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Beef ribs can get very "pot roasty" if ya wrap.

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried wrapping once I ended up with steamed beef. Then I went naked, they still came out oozing with juices. I'll never wrap again.
        I hear folks talking about bark this bark that, eeeh! I can't be bothered with the bark LOL!

Now this is the first time I've cooked the short ribs on the PBC. I asked the butcher for uncut rack to experiment with. I don't think I'll cook short ribs on the WSM unless they're English cut.
        Last edited by Ernest; September 1, 2014, 07:50 PM.

As usual. OFF the HOOK!

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Jon!

Awesome! Those beef ribs look incredible.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Boss!

Missed this post somehow, looks great!

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you John!

I had some leftover Kalbi, decided to make tacos. Yeah I love tacos. First whip up some flour tortillas. Not sure about the ingredient amounts, I just toss flour, pinch of salt with bacon fat (I never throw away bacon fat) and warm water. Knead a little, break into balls and left them alone for about 30 minutes. Roll Heat Make tacos Have a beer!

Comment

Speechless, as usual...

Comment

Looks straight out of a cookbook. I have never made tortillas before, those look delicious and I have a little leftover pulled pork. We need a section for leftovers...

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you John.
            They're really simple to make. The authenticity might be questionable since I don't use lard. But they tastes better than any store bought.

For your first batch try this
            1 Cup all purpose flour
            2 tablespoons fat/oil of your choice. I prefer solid as in butter, chilled bacon fat, coconut oil.
            A pinch of salt
            About 6 tablespoons warm water or chicken stock (more flavor )

Mix the salt and flour then rub the fat into the flour. Get as much flour to cling to the fat.
            Then add water, little at a time until you can get the mixture into a cohesive ball.
            Knead that for about minutes just to get things together. Tightly Wrap that in a plain and let it sit for about 30 minutes.

Don't worry too much about ingredient amounts, unlike baking, cooking is not an exact science.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here