Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Ribs. What to ask for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Ribs. What to ask for

Hey folks. I have been looking for some beef ribs. They are really hard to find here in Minnesota. (Don't know why) All I can find are little short ribs. I have found a few places that said they would cut whatever cut I need. I just don't know what to tell the butcher to make sure I am getting what I want. I realize I can just take these pictures to him, but I d like to have some input form the Pit as well. Here is what I am looking for. Those big Dino bones that I have seen a few folks on here make. With the thick meat on top of the bone. Any input will be helpful. Thank a lot folks. Hope all is well with everyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	146324 Click image for larger version

Name:	grand-reserve-english-beef-short-ribs-p44-75_zoom (1).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	146325 Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	146326

According to Aaron Franklin's book, you want beef "plate" short ribs as opposed to beef "chuck" short ribs. I actually ordered a case of plate ribs and ended up with a case of chuck ribs instead but they are great. They come in 4 rib sections like your picture of uncooked ribs, so I suspect they may be chuck ribs also. I think plate ribs come with 3 ribs but wouldn't swear to it. Next time I'll be sure to get plate ribs so I'll learn what the difference is but I think either will be close to what you want. You do not want "back ribs".

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent!! Thank You. Last time the butcher said, 'No No you want back ribs." And they weren't at all what I wanted. Thanks For the advice. Very helpful. Thats what I was looking for, something to call them. HorseDoctor

I LOVE beef back ribs for what it's worth. They might not look as fancy, more like pork ribs, but they are mmmmmm yummy. You'll be plenty happy with either if you cook them right.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      The beef back ribs i picked up were really good. I am just looking for something different.

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no problem with back ribs either, but they are definitely different from what the OP was looking for. Back ribs vs short ribs is apples vs oranges. Both very good but very different.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor I disagree that they're apples vs oranges. But Yes Spin is looking for larger short plate ribs, just commenting that backies are yummy.

I just saw some beef ribs in the WalMart in Rochester MN on Monday. I can't remember the name. I've also wondered which cut to look for. Thanks for starting thread Spinaker, and thanks for the posts all.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      They are so hard to find around here. Maybe if me and you start buying all of it the demand will shift. Skip

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      I live in Blue Earth MN a town of 3500 people so it's hard to find them here although our local Meat Locker and Super Value are both very accommodating. Are you close to a larger city? Your picture looks like you are in a tractor.

I got some beef ribs at Harris Teeter. They were pretty skimpy with respect to the meat. Several shiners. I smoked 'em anyway, and they tasted fine, but I wouldn't get them again. I'll keep my peepers peeled for beef plate ribs.

Here's what the beef ribs looked like before we started the nom nom fest (skimpy, huh?):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Beef Ribs.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	146494

On the plus side: The bones helped to make some good beef broth for pho, though.

Kathryn

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks For your input Kathryn. I am having the same problem. Either I find short ribs or I find the ones you ran to yourself. A bit frustrating. Good to hear you found a use for those shiners. fzxdoc

Beef back for BBQ, and short ribs for braising. thats my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Skip View Post
      I just saw some beef ribs in the WalMart in Rochester MN on Monday. I can't remember the name. I've also wondered which cut to look for. Thanks for starting thread Spinaker, and thanks for the posts all.
      I live just on the outskirts of the Twin Cites metro. Chaska/Eden Prairie area. So I kinda get the best of both worlds. Small world. My grandmother was from Blue Earth. I assume the Green Giant is still standing strong? Most of the butchers around here want an arm and a leg for what they call "custom cuts" of beef. I think if I can get a hold of the right person at Costco. I can get what I need at a reasonable price. Skip

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Green Giant is still standing tall. We aren't far apart. It would be fun to talk sometime.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I am always interested in a AR meet up!! Skip

Spinaker said "My grandmother was from Blue Earth." As was mine... She lived on S Rice St. Right across the RR tracks from the Green Giant corn facility EONS ago. A real "grandmotherly town" Blue Earth is.

If you have freezer space (or friends to split an order), you may find that the meat manager at your local chain markets may be willing to order things for you by the case. Here in central Iowa, I have found the folks at Fareway meat counters pretty easy to deal with and have purchased pork bellies and beef short ribs by the case when not available at the counter. Also got some of the same stuff from a couple HyVee stores but had pre-existing contacts (friends) that worked at them. One left & one retired. Their replacements, not so easy to deal with...

Comment

Fareway has a great meat department, as does HY-VEE. I miss those stores from when I was in college in Iowa City.We are just starting to get a few Hy-Vees up here in the Twin Cities. Its amazing how much better they are than our local grocer (Cub Foods). They didn't even have a meat department until a year ago. HorseDoctor

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
          Fareway has a great meat department, as does HY-VEE. I miss those stores from when I was in college in Iowa City.We are just starting to get a few Hy-Vees up here in the Twin Cities. Its amazing how much better they are than our local grocer (Cub Foods). They didn't even have a meat department until a year ago. HorseDoctor
          I would agree with Fareway. As a matter of fact, I am smoking 19 lbs of Boston butts we picked up last week for $0.99/lbs. I really can't comment on Hy-Vee as we don't shop their meat department because of their prices. For the price they are asking we go to a local butcher and Fareway. Last year a Minnesota company came in and bought up one our locally owned grocery chains and now they have been converted to Family Fare. Since the grand opening we have not set foot into the store as their prices are now the highest in town and they have insulted my intelligence by labeling their steaks with a USDA looking sticker that reads, "Guaranteed Tender". They have quit sourcing their beef locally (from Nebraska and Iowa) and are now importing from Wisconsin and Minnesota. I am not saying that is a bad thing, but Nebraska is one of the leading beef producers so it would be nice to support the home team. Unless they are the sole survivors of an apocalypse I don't foresee my family shopping their anytime soon...but I digress. Spinaker

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah you can't argue with Fareway's prices and their meat is of very good quality, especially at that price point. Isn't it amazing, the tricks that grocers play on their patrons? To me, Sometimes, its criminal. But thats just me.

I talked to the head guy in the meat department at my local Costco. He knows what I am looking for. He said that he can cut me some next Thursday, when they get their next shipment of beef. Not sure what kind of price i am going to get, but I would suspect that it will be less than what I have been hearing at some of the other butchers. I paid $40 for two racks of beef back ribs. I thought that was a bit high. Beef plate ribs seems to be what to tell them. he knew just what I was talking about when i mentioned them.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            That is usually a good call. Breadhead

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            The 2 "top guns" at my local Fareway meat counter wondered "what the heck" I was gonna do with a case of pork bellies. Took them each an 8 oz. sample of home made bacon. They are both pretty good about processing my bulk orders now. VBG!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            hahahaha, So your saying I need to buy this guy off with ribs? I am not above doing such a thing. Great way to secure your source. HorseDoctor

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here