Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu Brisket

So I got a Wagyu Gold brisket from Snake River Farms as a gift and i have a few questions about smoking this bad boy. I have smoked USDA Prime briskets in the past with very good results and most of the time I would inject it with beef broth. With the Wagyu brisket being so marbled, should I skip the injection? I also use the Texas crutch to get the brisket done faster, should i skip it as well? It is a nearly a 14 pound chunk of meat so it will take me at least 12 hours to smoke it without wrapping it. I won't be cooking it until probably Memorial Day weekend but would like some different opinions on how to proceed.

Thanks,
    Dmitry

I did one of these, 14.5lbs. I asked around the entire internet and finally decided to skip the injection. I also skipped the crutch. And, I separated the point from the flat, and I used a kamado.

The brisket took about 10 hours at 225*. The point was done first and it was incredible. I pulled the flat about 45 minutes later because I was getting impatient. It was not quite as tender, and could have used a bit more time over the heat. Or it might have been that the point was rested for 2 hours and the flat for 1 hour.

What I did find when searching for brisket information is that you will get as many different answers as times you ask the question to different people. For as many people who freaked at the idea of separating point and flat, it made sense to me to do it regardless. (And to be sure, there were some who thought it was a good idea, even though they were outnumbered about 10:1.) Otherwise I heard to inject it, to not inject it, to wrap it, to not wrap it, do it at 225*, do it at 275*...

In the end, I decided to just put it over smoke and let it cook. Everything was fine.

Comment

• DSilman
      DSilman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I am leaning towards not injecting it but wrapping it up to get through the stall. I don't have the patience to cook something that long, especially if the stall takes a long time.

Nice Gift!

Comment

• DSilman
      DSilman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes and I also got a cap of ribeye but it was not worth the money. $200 for 1.3 lbs of meat is just obscene no matter what the quality of meat is.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here