Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First attempt at Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLBuckeye
    replied
    I bragged about my sous vide steaks and now I "volunteered" to do 12 of them for a Scout leaders camp out. Will wait until the week of the camp out to see what I can find on sale (hopefully ribeyes) or just go to Restaurant Depot and buy a case. Will be at least 1.5" thick. Going to be a bit trick logistics wise to get them all done roughly at the same time but since the sear time is so short, I think I can pull it off. Not going to mess with sides, the other guys can do that. Looking at 2 coolers as sous vide containers with Maverick probes in both to monitor water temp.
    I will be doing pics with our new (used) SLR camera.

Leave a comment:

• Christobol
    commented on 's reply
    My kamado grill doesn't have an easy was to setup for two zone grilling, hence moving the meat to the gas grill. Thanks for the tips I think the grates might help out.

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Christobol can you get a good two zone setup going on your grill? If so, that's the way to go. This link has tips on how to use a gasser: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ill_setup.html

Once you do have the grill at high heat for searing (two zone or just crank it up and wait method), though, you just throw the steak on and flip every minute with the lid open. After 3 minutes start checking it for temp. Cast Aluminum Grill Grates really help a gasser with searing. http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...ll_grates.html

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Enlighten me Christobol why you'd want all that hassle for ribs w/ the sous vide...worth it? Better?

• Christobol
    commented on 's reply
    Doing this method on my gas grill, I'm finding I need 10 minutes to get a nice dark brown color, but that obviously cooks the interior quite a bit and I went from a black/blue cook to medium well.

Does it make sense to pull the steak after the low and slow, allow the grill 10 min or so to get the grills up to max temp before grilling one side and moving it often. Then pulling the steak and giving the grill another 10 min to get fully up to temp, so the interior has time to cook off, then throw it on to get the Maillard reaction on one side?
    Last edited by Christobol; September 1, 2014, 11:29 PM.

• Christobol
    commented on 's reply
    I think it would be useful. I have a one day quest envisioned... the Thrice Cook Ribs method, Sous Vide, Smoked, Direct Heat (Gas in my case).

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Mark depending on what type of grill you use it's also important to leave the lid open. That way you're not cooking the top and bottom of the meat at the same time. A closed lid reduces how effective the frequent flip technique can be.

• mgaretz
    commented on 's reply
    David, you made the same comment on one of my tri-tip posts. The next tri-tip I did it and also with my last steak. Not sure if I can tell the difference yet.

• mgaretz
    commented on 's reply
    Sure, especially with the GrillGrates.

• FLBuckeye
    commented on 's reply
    Does the gasser get hot enough?

• FLBuckeye
    commented on 's reply
    I did just that. Flipped 6-7 times. The last flip I had to go get the pan to pull them off and left it on 30 seconds too long, hence the one side being a bit darker. Realized that I couldn't put the cooked steaks back on the tray I brought them out on.

• FLBuckeye
    commented on 's reply
    I would as I am going to try different foods sous vide. Really liked the results

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
    FWIW, my wife and I like our steaks rare. I will do 1 to 1.5" thick sirloins, starting with them vacuum packed and frozen, for 1 hour at 125F. Then a quick reverse sear on my Weber gasser with GrillGrates, about 3 minutes a side. Lately I have been using the flat side of the grill grates.

Mark next time you use this technique try flipping the steaks every minute during the reverse sear. Still cook them 3 minutes per side, just do it 1 minute at a time and flip often. I bet you'll get even better edge to edge red.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Guys would you like to have a Sous Vide sub channel in the recipes and techniques section?

Leave a comment:

• IrondeQuer
    replied
    Great discussion! This has to go on the to-try list! Great pics, FLB.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here