Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about hot and fast brisket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about hot and fast brisket.

While I'd heard whisperings about this, I hadn't really looked into it until yesterday. Apparently there are people who do their brisket between 325 and 350, for 5-6 hours, and it comes out perfectly fine.

In fact, if you Google "hot and fast brisket method", the very first result is Snake River Farms' hot and fast brisket recipe:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...brisket+method

Which uses a drum smoker, but I don't see any reason why the shape of the vessel matters one whit.

As one BBQer wrote at another forum, a brisket is done when it's done, and if you go 325 and it probes like butter, you should take it off, wrap it, and eat it, and not worry about how it got there.

The reason I don't do more brisket is because of scheduling. In my work I don't get two consecutive days off, and it is a lot of trouble to take all that time to either prep and start the cook the night before, or get up at 4AM to have a brisket ready by 7 or 8PM (after trimming, firing up the BGE, reducing the smoke, then wrapping and resting). On the other hand, a good hot and fast cook, which apparently produces good brisket, would be just the thing!

I've done them at 330ish in the Pit Barrel. Wrap when dark enough, rest when probe tender. Eat and enjoy.

Comment

I am experimenting with this using chuck roast. The idea I have is to get the IT to 190 at a smoker temp of 325 to 350 then lower the smoker temp 215 to 225 and let it ride until probe tender. The reason I am trying this is because I had a brisket that I set the temperature on the smoker wrong and it quickly got up to about 190 in about four hours When the alarm went off at the internal temp was 190 I kind of freaked out took it off wrapped in foil and towels then I let it sit in a insulated box for about four hours when I finally got back to it and pulled it out I figured it would be ruined but instead it wasn't bad at all. It was slightly tougher but overall not that bad. I think if I had just let it sit on the smoker at a lower temperature and probed it until it was probe tender it would've even been better. But that is my mission for this upcoming weekend.

Comment

I've cooked briskets to 190 or so and then piled them in a Cambro until serving 10 hours later.

A smoke shop in Texas cooks briskets to about 185, wraps them in butcher paper, packs them into an ice chest, and that is the next day's brisket.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
          I've cooked briskets to 190 or so and then piled them in a Cambro until serving 10 hours later.

A smoke shop in Texas cooks briskets to about 185, wraps them in butcher paper, packs them into an ice chest, and that is the next day's brisket.
          Good to know. Maybe I'm on the right track.

Comment

Mosca ...

Cooking to accommodate your work schedule is brilliant. Rumor has it you can speed up the process and your finished product comes out nicely.👌

Me... On the other hand, being retired and not ever pressed for time will continue cooking low and slow.👍

I'm old school. I've NEVER wrapped a pork butt or brisket. I've NEVER powered through the stall. I've NEVER tried to rush a cook.

It helps having a set it & forget cooker... Large BGE and the DigiQ Dx2 combo, is a smokers dream machine.😁 I've been known to do a 16 hour NO PEEK brisket cook before.

I know you have both of those pieces of equipment and I'm going to challenge you to do a 14/16 hour NO PEEK cook. Set up your BGE for a low and slow cook. Install your DigiQ Dx2 stabilize your cooking temp and let it do its thing. Go to work and don't even think about it. When you get home it will be chugging along at 225° just like it was when you left for work. DON'T open that dome until your meat thermometer tells you your brisket or pork butt is at 203°.

I know your equipment will do that. The question is do you have the confidence to set it and forget and walk away?🤔

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              This Huskee guy wonders if a set-it-and-forget-it cooker which requires no hands on is really "old school"?

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Good question Guest I don't think it is myself
              Last edited by DWCowles; February 18, 2016, 08:27 AM.

How long would it take to warm up a foiled brisket. (12 lbs) I am reheating In the oven for serving at lunch time?

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Raw weight or cooked? Whole or sliced? Got juice still?

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Most mine running 250 will take approximately 3.5-4 hours to get to 165-170 internal.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Sweet! Thanks Jerod Broussard

Biggest concern with cooking brisket hot and fast is meat temperature. I have a Thermoworks Chefalarm with a needle probe that goes into the brisket at midway. Your "window" for brisket doneness is much, much tighter, so you have to monitor closely. Texture is a bit different (in my opinion) between a hot/fast and low/slow brisket. With a "looser" density brisket (like Snake River Farms), I think hot/fast may benefit. On a choice or select maybe not so much. I'll know more after Nashville contest on 3/12 -- I'm cooking a SRF hot/fast for that one. I was pleased with the Hereford flat I cooked hot/fast last contest -- won $100!

Comment

I wonder if speed limits were not in force how many of us would drive cross country at 130mph. We'd get there, and much quicker. But it's those little incidental things along the way that you have less time to react to. Would it be worth it? I think the same of such a cook. Like Candy mentions above, your window of doneness is small on brisket. It sure seems easy to mess up when going so fast. Also, like she says and I totally agree, you really need a brisket 'built' for hot & fast, just like you need a car built for a driving cross country at 130mph. A cheap supermarket brisket will probably be shoe leather if cooked hot & fast. Admittedly I've never done it, intentionally anyway. I did have one cook too fast for who knows why, and it was a forgettable dining experience. IMO, when you're doing a brisket, it's a TLC affair because for the price of the meat you want a dinner that reflects what you've put into it. It'd be great to see identical briskets cooked in these two opposite manners and tasted side by side.
              Last edited by Huskee; February 18, 2016, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I bought the Accra Legend coupe the first year it came out. I was driving from Klamath Falls, Or to Bend, Or on a tree lined 2 lane highway... With the cruise control locked in at 100mph. Then a deer ran out across the road.😳

Somewhere I have a photo of 2 brisket slices side by side, one hot/fast the other low/slow. Couldn't find it (of course). As I recall the biggest appearance difference is depth and color of the smoke ring. It was less on both points on hot/fast.

Comment

Huskee & DWCowles ... Response to post #6.1 & 6.2

It's "old school" strategy accompanied by modern day equipment.😎

Us old guys no longer worry and fret about an overnight low & slow cook. We pay for current day tools so we can get our beauty sleep without worrying that our heat will fall or spike.

I haven't missed a nights sleep because of an overnight cook in years.😉

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Whoever figured out how to regulate the cooking temperature in our smokers almost as accurate as our kitchen ovens ought to go directly into the BBQ Hall of Fame!

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I get old I don't want to sleep the rest of my life away. I will still stay up all night and enjoy what I like to do.

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm pleased that you like sitting up all night watching smoke drift into the night sky. I wouldn't dream of taking that great pleasure from you or anyone else that loves it.

I just like sleeping more than you I think.🤔

It's the Tortoise and the Hare story... Somehow the Hare always wins.😆 especially in BBQ.
                In response to Huskee post #9

When you break it all down... Trimming your brisket. An overnight dry brine. Applying the rub. Firing up your smoker, preheating to your desired cooking temp and getting the right color of smoke and then loading your brisket into your cooker. At that point it is nothing but a waiting game if you know how to regulate your cooking temperature accurately.

So... Both the hot & fast cook and the low & slow cooks take EXACTLY the SAME amount of active hands on labor. The only difference is you wait less time for the hot & fast cook.😎

I plan every brisket cook as an 18 hour cook at 225°. If it's done in 14 hours it gets 4 hours in the cambro. If it takes 16 hours it gets 2 hours in the cambro.

I don't wrap. I don't ever fret about a stall or 2. I don't power through the stall. I don't serve my guests smoked brisket that isn't ready yet.

It all seems pretty basic to me Watson...🤔

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here