Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAB Chuck Spencer Roast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAB Chuck Spencer Roast question

Just bought a 2” thick 1.75 lb. CAB Chuck Spencer Roast. I was thinking of sous viding it for dinner tomorrow then searing it with my new toy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E47E8AB1-6BED-42DE-B713-913651A94D4A.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1400691

Is this a good choice for this cut of meat or should I go in another direction. Never heard of a Spencer roast but it has some great marbling and it was only $5.99 / lb.

If sous vide is the way to go I’m thinking 5 hours at 130°. Does that sound too long or too short? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

Who is Charles Spencer?

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t know. 😆

After a quick search, it appears that a Spencer Roast is actually a boneless ribeye. If that’s the case then SVing it would be perfect at 130*. And searing it afterwards with the torch you have would be great. I have a Grill Gun which looks very similar but mine has a longer wand. It’s great for searing.

Comment

I would think 5 hours is probably too long for the sous vide. I would think 2 to 3 hours should be long enough and going 5 would leave a dry piece of meat. Just my thoughts YMMV.

Comment

A ribeye! Wow! That’s gonna be the sight! Looking forward to seeing the end result!

But as @Draznl says, if it is a ribeye, the steaks I cut from sub primals are probably 1.5-2 thick and I go 2 hours at 125.

Comment

Here is the Chuck Spencer Roast pre sous vide

Name:	B6533238-DCF3-4600-BA3C-1273C25CE3FA.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	1400911

Name:	A1A90B93-14D8-43C8-BA95-5DDE50D213A8.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	1400912

Comment

I have never heard of this cut. Sure looks like it could be excellent. I’m looking forward to the results of your cook! Good luck Pitmaster!

Comment

Google results seem to say it’s a ribeye but what you have is clearly not ribeye. I did find some results saying it’s like a flat iron but cut differently. That looks more like what you have.

Comment

Forget the roast, I would rather have a Flame Thrower!
                "Brun, Baby, Burn!"----'60s

Comment

Didn’t get around to this last evening so here it is now.

Got busy and I wound up cooking it for 5 hours at 130° with my sous vide.

There was a bit of purge after 5 hours but not as much as I thought there would be.

As you all know it does not look to appealing out of the bag.

Name:	3F0D9927-536E-4875-B571-A4DDFD74BE75.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1401315

After some FIRE!

Name:	3B554BB4-E2CD-4797-8FC5-7D157367ED21.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1401314

Much Better

Name:	2FB23131-22EA-4734-9D39-57E8762E5729.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	1401317

Now for the final verdict. It tasted like the most tender prime rib I’ve ever eaten. Lots of flavor. Almost tender enough to cut with a fork. Now the roast itself had a giant vein of grizzle down the middle of it that was inedible but one I cut around that I was left with probably 1 pound of a delicious rare prime rib meat.

Name:	C7D00516-EAF6-4CA8-8BDE-429F8DC406A3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	1401316

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                    Jfrosty27 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh my. That looks incredible. Now I’m hungry and I just ate brunch. Nice work Pitmaster.

Looks great. So this might just be a ribeye with a funky vein. That's why it's called a Spencer cut. I once knew someone named Spencer and he had...........Oh never mind. That story is for another place........

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here