Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef 'Eye of Round' roast, done in Santa Maria tri tip + Texas brisket styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Burn
    commented on 's reply
    Never even thought about doing that - that's a major DUH! on my part! Though I have to check if it can handle 500. And this is really for when I don't have the time to monitor a smoke. Your cook reminded me that smoking is the way to go. I got a pair of these roasts at Costco (I think $5.19/lb) and the other is in the freezer, pre-salted. I'll use it soon on my new Performer Silver.

And yours, BTW, looks so much tastier than mine.

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Deuce View Post
    That really looked tasty Huskee, I've got to try that board sauce
    Like MH says in the recipe, when the meat juices and salt from the meat mix into the sauce it's great. Even my little boys were dipping their garlic bread on the board. It adds that certain "fancy restaurant" spin to the meal I think.

Leave a comment:

• Deuce
    replied
    That really looked tasty Huskee, I've got to try that board sauce

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Thanks Jon! This was the first not-on-sale beef I've bought in months. Worth it, hit the spot.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    Nice job man! Your making me rethink my beef boycott.

• Huskee
    replied
    If I can do this with an eye of round roast, I guess I don't need a tri tip. You can do it too!
    This. Was. Outstanding.

Ilovesmokedbeef.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    You don't just leave a Mav probe in it?

• The Burn
    replied
    I did an eye round in the oven the other day, but it's somewhat similar to a low & slow. You cook it (w/ a kosher salt, coarse pepper, thyme & fresh garlic rub) uncovered at 500 for 7 minutes per pound. Then you shut the oven off and leave it alone for about 2:00-2:15 (gas ovens vary of course). I think you should start checking temps at about 2 hours. I got distracted and left it until 2:20 and it went past medium rare and was a little chewier than I would like. Still tasty though. Rub only sat on it for 30 minutes, so it didn't really go past the outer layer much.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1-3.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	14012 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2-3.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	14014

Leave a comment:

• boftx
    replied
    That's always our standby cook, too. Good value and quick to fix.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Looks slick, Slick.

Leave a comment:

• Beef 'Eye of Round' roast, done in Santa Maria tri tip + Texas brisket styles

Been craving beef for over a month so decided to splurge tonight. No, no brisket or trip tip. Sad when an average beef roast becomes a splurge item.

Dinner tonight is a 2.6lb (pre-trimmed) eye of round beef roast. I will smoking it with oak to 130-135*, but it will have Meathead's BBBR (hence the tri tip + brisket style combo). Dry brined for 2hrs, it was a last-minute decision at the grocery store. 3/4 chimney of charcoal lighting now.

Here it is pre-trimmed, w/ fat cap Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5300.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	14001

Here it is dry brining Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5303.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	14002

With salt-free BBBR Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5304.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	14024

Mav 1 and Mav 2 keeping me company. The 82 is one probe I don't need left out in ambient temp.

Name:	IMAG5305.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	14025

Now have two probes monitoring cooker temp, and two in the roast. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5308.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	14033

Taken to ~125, seared over oak coals until one probe read 133 and the other 135.
    Made Adam Perry Lang's "brilliant board sauce", an olive oil, garlic & fresh herb concoction you put on the carving board and slice the meat in.

Name:	IMAG5312.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	14075

A stunning meal, to say the least. The board sauce and the beef with oak is simply amazing. This is the stuff you pay some bucks for at a nice restaurant. A simple eye of round roast, oak wood at ~225, to ~120 IT, seared until 130-135 IT, board sauce and slice.

Name:	IMAG5317.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	14076
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Huskee; August 30, 2014, 06:40 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here