Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter Road Tri-Tip: Reverse Sear or Sous Vide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porter Road Tri-Tip: Reverse Sear or Sous Vide?

I have googles and read thru a plethora of posts. I am REALLY good at reverse sear on thick steaks using my pellet smoker/gasser combo. I have not done much with my sous vide(Anova Precision) other than heat stuff up. But I am willing to give it a go with this Tri. I was going to just smoke it at 225 until 120IT and then reverse sear to 135. Of course starting out with a 24 hour dry brine with Mortons Kosher.

You would want a crust or bark on your TT. SV and reverse sear won’t do that. So my 2 cents…

1) SV to 110 IT. Pat dry and season with your rub.
    2) Grill (front sear) till you get the crust/bark you want
    3) Move it over and finish indirect.

FWIW

Comment

You are mixing up your terms.

Cooking/smoking at low temp and then searing to finish is a reverse sear. The reverse part is that you sear to finish vs sear first.

That being said a reverse sear is my favorite way to cook Tri-tip. I do it at a slightly higher temp, probably around 300 and then sear to finish. That’s how I did the Tri-tip below last week. I think I generally take it to around 125 before searing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B47B1718-D9D7-4459-9AB2-3FA0B454C9C9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.49 MB ID:	1398184

Comment

• rmeugene
        rmeugene commented
        Editing a comment
        I see where you are stating I am mixing up my terms. Just meant that I would do the reverse sear process by taking it up to 120 on my pellet smoker then sear it on my grillgrates on the gasser.

Reverse sear for me.

Comment

Either way works. My favorite method is on the SMG, which is basically reverse sear-ish. I'll SV TT's if I'm doing more than 2 or 3, just for consistency and reliable results across the board.

Comment

SV at 120 for 2-3 hours. Pat dry. Lightly coat with duck fat or beef tallow. Season and sear.

Comment

I cook them both ways. SV is easier and gives foolproof consistent results. I like reverse searinj in a charcoal grill best. However the pellet grill is nearly as good.

Comment

My favorite way is to reverse sear to get a good crust. Here is a pic of a TT off my LSG pellet grill. Click image for larger version

Name:	20230205_185724.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	1398197

Comment

If you haven’t done SV, then I say do it! It’s gonna be fun and you’ll never have to wonder about it. Add this to your arsenal! Personally, I prefer it grilled - it adds some flavor you can’t get w SV. However, I enjoy both ways.

Comment

Reverse sear for me as well with a tri-tip. I have not done SV with TT, but I’m sure it would turn out great results if you sear over charcoal so you get that additional flavor. this is how I do big ribeyes that I cut from sub primals from Costco.

have fun on your cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here