Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memorial Day Cook-Off…Put On Your Big Boy Pants!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it count if I break it down, cure the pieces and make a whole brisket’s worth of pastrami? While my darling wife will eat my brisket, she really likes Meathead’s pastrami recipe.

Comment

• DesertRaider
      DesertRaider commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that idea, and might copy it if it's ok!

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      Copy away DesertRaider No on is going to stop us. I think if one more person says they plan to make pastrami, we’ll have a movement.

That's the first beach weekend of the summer for the Finsters...
    Have to take a pass.
    I look forward to seeing all the amazing cooks that are gonna go down

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the confirmations, so far, and ideas about how to make this as “all inclusive” as possible! A couple of suggestions were thrown out there that will help include as many as possible. Well, I took these suggestions to the Memorial Day Brisket Cook Off Committee. After all the committee members were presented with these suggestions, a few of the ideas were met with harsh resistance!

ACTUAL PHOTO OF BRISKET COOK OFF COMMITTEE MEETING!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	D201EF76-4EF0-4F92-9D28-6D32962ECB9C.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1399039

​​​​​​​DATES OF THE MEMORIAL DAY BRISKET COOK
      Some people will be out of town or have other plans for that weekend, so “the committee” has decided to start the cook off the Friday before Memorial Day and extend it to include the Tuesday-Sunday after Memorial Day as well! The dates to post your pics will be from Friday May 26 thru Sunday June 4. If you have to do your cook before Friday 5-26, please wait until 5/26 to post them, I’ll start a new post then and would like to have all our pics in one place.

​​​​​​​WHAT TO COOK
      Brisket! Someone asked about doing a Chuck roast instead because a brisket would be too much for them and someone else mentioned curing the brisket and doing pastrami. Sure thing! We don’t want anyone to be left out that isn’t able to do a full brisket cook. While we do like to keep these group cooks as close as possible to the original intent, having fun with this is more important! WITH THAT BEING SAID…..If I see anyone coming in here trying to pass off chicken wings as their entry, well, there’ll be hell to pay! ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        No way that’s an actual picture of a Pit committee. You couldn’t find that many clean cut looking folks among us if you hit up the entire membership. 🤪🤪

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Draznnl Or as young! 😂

• DesertRaider
        DesertRaider commented
        Editing a comment
        What if they're really really big chicken wings?

Well hell…. Draznnl busted me.

​​​​​​ACTUAL UNTOUCHED PHOTO OF THE REAL PIT MASTER BRISKET COMMITTEE
      Click image for larger version  Name:	87058095-1164-4F42-B3F7-1EBCD03C357C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	320.8 KB ID:	1399133

Comment

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        Now I believe it. 🤣

Just wanted to bump this thread as a reminder of the Memorial Day Weekend brisket cook, less than 2 weeks away. I’ll start a new post Friday May 26 for everyone to start posting their cooking pics. As mentioned above, it will extend beyond Memorial Day through Sunday June 4. WayneT has generously promised EITHER a $5,000 cash prize to the best looking brisket….. or a picture of $5,000! 🤓

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1419924

Comment

• gboss
        gboss commented
        Editing a comment
        "...or a picture of $5,000!"
        is that one of those NFT things the kids were talking about?

Wait! It's MAY already??

Comment

Thank you for that shoutout and recognition Panhead John.

Name:	IMG_1119.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1419962
        Suitable for framing.

Void where prohibited by law. No warranties, express or implied, regarding merchantability of product.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m sure everyone is in suspense wondering which prize it will be!

I like the idea. Is it brisket only, or are we allowed to cook anything? LOL.

My neighbor got me a nice gift card to SRF the other day for shoveling his driveway for him this winter. His a retired elderly guy and the service he had hired was trash and always showed up late to plow, so I told him I would help him out this season. No big deal. Plus, he is always good for an old-timer story or two. He drink black coffee and is willing to tell me stories over and over which is payment enough.

Anyway, I thought this would be a perfect time to get a SRF Gold Grade Brisket for the smoker. I will be cooking up all kinds of stuff anyway, so why not add a Wagyu Brisket to the mix?

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          There ya go John boy! Jump right on in…..no damn chicken wings though!…😂

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, this year was a Top 5 year for snow. It was great. We needed the moisture. Lakes were down, rivers and creeks were running dry and soil moisture was critically low. Most of it is recharged now. Planting has begun now that the soil temp is up. Jerod Broussard

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          No worries there. Although, that does remind me.......I need to get the Cajun fryer out of storage!

I may save my pork belly burnt ends for that cook. The pork belly is pretty close to the brisket area of even a kangaroo.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Kangaroo is not only acceptable, it’s encouraged……

I'm doing beef ribs Fri 26th and having a couple families over. I will have to pass on the brisket that weekend but I will enjoy the pics from y'all.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          a.k.a. brisket on the bone...............

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Uncle Bob Absolutely! But per John's requirement of brisket and "big boy pants", I didn't think it would qualify since beef ribs are quite a bit easier and therefore they're just little, maybe medium boy pants.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee Hey brother, feel free to post your beef ribs! [don’t tell anyone I said it’s ok😂] Just please post the following disclaimer….I’m posting these ribs in defiance of that dictator Panhead John!….

I’ll throw a brisket or two or three on. Are their bonus points for quantity?

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          WayneT did say something about giving a $2,000 prize to the person who cooks the most briskets….🤓

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t deal in such small denominations and I’m not about to break a $5G for that.

• JLR
          JLR commented
          Editing a comment
          WayneT, I can take $5k instead of $2k, no problem-o.

I am ready!

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too David! Hope my Speedo still fits after last weekend!

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          Somehow I do not think you will need to worry Panhead John ....

I want to get in on this, but can't make a firm commitment. Lately I have good intentions, but not my usual energy, so I've made a ton of plans that I haven't been able to follow up on with regards to cooking. Lot of groceries have gone in the trash and our door dash and grub hub drivers have elevated to the next income tax bracket. But I have a new cooker I haven't shown you guys yet that I would enjoy cooking a brisket in and it's our oldest son's birthday on the 25th, so I'd say I'm 72.6% in.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John I will try to do better in the future 😂

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          72.6 % is good!

Just ease on in if it feels right to you. Getting by and going through each day with the kids is what's important now. My heart goes out to you, Dave.

Kathryn

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 ^ Continue to be kind and gentle with yourself.

This gives me time to source a good brisket, hopefully. It would be fun to cook one along with the gang.

And I can put on some of my husband's Big Boy Pants for the cook, but hitching them up and in enough might be a problem.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          ...and a belt, Alan Brice .

K.

• Alan Brice
          Alan Brice commented
          Editing a comment
          Pics or it dinnit happen!!! ; - )) JK!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that would be a picture that I just might take, Alan Brice , just to embarrass my kids!

It so happens I just got a Choice brisket from Wild Fork about a week ago... we got married over Memorial Day weekend, so it'll be our 22nd anniversary. Well worth celebrating!

Name:	20230505_163804.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1420189

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats on the anniversary Dave! Looking forward to your cook.

• Clawbear57
          Clawbear57 commented
          Editing a comment
          Congratulations Dave. Happy Anniversary to you and the wife.

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks guys! My lovely bride is fully on board with a Memorial/Anniversary weekend brisket!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here