Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use for frozen beef scraps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use for frozen beef scraps

I have a big ziplock I filled with trimming from a brisket cook, and then some subsequent cooks. I never really had a plan for it. Some of the meat has now been frozen twice (thaw original product, trim and re freeze) and it’s not cryovac’d, just a ziplock so some ice formed in there, so it’s not ideal in there.

Think it’ll work out to just thaw it and grind it for burgers? I think theirs gonna be some quality loss because of how I froze it but I’m thinking it won’t really matter in a smash burger with all the fixings. Not sue what else to do with it.

Homemade beef stock!!!

Comment

• bbq_esq
      bbq_esq commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve never heard of using beef scraps for stock, just bones. Not a bad idea.

Turn the fat from the brisket into tallow during the cooking.

Comment

• bbq_esq
      bbq_esq commented
      Editing a comment
      So these are the trimmings that were more meat than fat. I already rendered the fat trimmings and have a nice supply of tallow.

Vac sealed it will last a very long time.
    in your case check for freezer burn (dry tough surface) and trim that away.
    Then buy some cheap lean beef and grind it with the good fat in a 70-75% lean ratio.
    makes great burgers.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what i thought of…good burgers!

I render it down for beef tallow and fry up some taters or soak butcher paper when wrapping my brisket, i also us the tallow to re season my Discada,(repurposed plow disk).

Comment

Depending on the lean content: burgers, sausage, tallow, etc.

Comment

I would surely grind for burgers.

Comment

• bbq_esq
          bbq_esq commented
          Editing a comment
          Just did exactly that.

Crispy cuban beef? We did this with some *old, old* freezer meat the other day and it was fantastic.

Yes, the zippy had a date on it, thankfully. Definitely not at a "serve to guests" quality, but more of the "let's try this, worst case we'll throw it out and make spaghetti" point of no return.

--

Heavy marinate for two+ hours, then braise in wine/broth for 3 hours. Shred. Remove from heat

Add sauteed garlic onions lime, let sit for 30-60m

Finish in hot pan to get some crispy bits, serve over rice with some reduced braising liquid

More details and better directions: https://asassyspoon.com/vaca-frita-recipe/

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here