Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stall

I finally bought a remote meat thermometer for my maiden chuck roast smoke. Never did I dream that IT could actually go down during a cook. What a lesson. BTW, Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub was great. This was also my first effort at dry brining. A lot of firsts for me.

When the heat consumption of the latent heat of evaporation of water amps up, you got something that absolutely freaks some people out.

Check out how other liquids compare to water

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool! More science stuff!

It did baffle me. In hindsight, I probably should have wrapped meat in foil when that occurred.

Comment

I give myself plenty time and go based on bark. Rarely does a butt get wrapped, most briskets get wrapped, but it is not uncommon to have 1 or 2 on a 4 brisket cook make it all the way unwrapped due to the high level of humidity in the PBC.

Comment

Awesome and good job. I had a rack of ribs last night that would just not cook, wrapped for an hour and they still weren't quite done when I ate them 8 hours later. The good news is I got to eat them all since everyone else had eaten hours before.

Comment

Those suckers are awesome to have. I don't use mine anymore now that I have the KBQ and I have a good feel for how long stuff takes. and when to check it with my Thermapen. But when I do an overnight cook with the PBC, I always use them.

Comment

I had a pork butt hit a stall last week. I let it sit for another two hours before I started getting hungry and decided to wrap it. It was the best pork effort I've produced so far. I could have wrapped it earlier but didn't. Was that the difference? I dunno. I had chicken stall as well yesterday. So now we are all ready for it. Plan for it. Give ourselves some extra time.

Comment

I let the meat stay in a stall for about an hour before I amp up the PBC temp to bump it out of the stall. Jerod Broussard also amps up the PBC temperature to get his briskets out of a stall.

I don't have scientific basis, but it seems to me that a stall is a natural state of affairs and is essential to having a tasty end product. However, too much could possibly lead (I'm only speculating here) to the meat drying out too much. If I can get the meat to 190 with some retained moisture before the fats and collagen start doing their job in the moisture-retaining sequence of events, then maybe I can have a better product. That's my thinking anyway.

Dr. Blonder says here that evaporation moves from the outside of the meat in the beginning of the stall to the inside of the meat later in the stall. He says "The exterior begins stalling an hour BEFORE the interior. And, it surface STOPs cooling an hour before the center, as the flow of juices wanes. "

I want the outer portion to dry out a bit so that I can get good bark. I don't want to lose a lot of moisture from the center of the meat. So it makes sense to me to let the stall run for a period of time and then kick it loose by increasing the PBC temperature to help the center get rid of enough moisture to reach 190 and let the fats and collagen start bathing the meat with moisture.

I do this in hopes of taking the meat to the end without resorting to foiling. I don't mind foiling briskets after 190 or so, but I love taking pork butts to the end with no foil.

Anyway, time to go and kick my two pork butts out of a stall by cracking the PBC's lid for a little while. Hopefully we'll have tasty, juicy pulled pork with a lot of pig candy on the surface at suppertime.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Bob's BBQ , nice to hear from you. I'm assuming you're talking about the sticky in the PBC section about cooking times for different meats, veggies, etc in the PBC.

If so, here's the link: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ts-if-possible

If that's not what you're looking for, let me know.

Happy to help.

Kathryn

• Bob's BBQ
                Bob's BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! What a great reference document. Thanks for the reply Kathryn, this is going in my favorites list.

Bob
                Last edited by Bob's BBQ; February 2, 2016, 10:19 PM.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad you found it useful, Bob's BBQ . Enjoy!

And BTW, did you find the rest of PBC sticky topics at the top of that same Pit Barrel Cooker forum? If not, check them out too. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker

K.
                Last edited by fzxdoc; February 3, 2016, 07:46 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here