Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bison Blade Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bison Blade Roast

I'm not sure if this goes in the beef recipes or not .. please move it to where you see fit!

So I bought this 4.5 lb boneless hunk of meat from my favorite butcher. My initial intent was to bring it up to a high temp and pull it, but now I'm not so sure. The other way I could do this is take it to 185 or so and slice it.

I'd like to see some idea's from others in the pit to see how I should proceed. I have it dry brining right now covered with 2 tsp's of salt in the fridge and going to do it tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160130_114548.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	138025

cdd315, My inclination is you would want to Slice It! I think it is to lean to Pull Well in my HOP? Eat Well and Prosper!
    From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I want to agree with you Danjohnston949 and it is probably the safest way to go .. but I really really want to have pulled bison I've been reading recipes and of course they're all using a crock pot. Well I have a crock pot but am not pulling it out and dusting it off for this cook. I gotta plan this out a little. I think If I'm careful and not dry it out too much I'll see what it's like when it reaches 185. If it's not quite ready I'll let it go longer. I don't want to wrap it and turn it into a pot roast.

Comment

As lean as all the bison I've had has been, getting it "pullable" stage & still moist without wrapping somewhere along the line might be a challenge.Let us know how it works.

Comment

HorseDoctor you may be right. What internal temp would you take the meat to for slicing? What temp would you take it to if you would try to pull it? I may wrap it after I get some bark on it.

Comment

So the BGE settled in at 228 for the cook today. When the meat reached 155 I decided to wrap it up so I could reserve the drippings in case it ended up too dry .. plus it hit the stall at that point. When it reached 185 I brought it into the house to take a look at it. It wasn't ready to pull so I set the oven to 235 and put the roast into it (wanted to use the egg for something else). When it got up to 190 I turned the oven off and left it alone for about 3 hours. The internal temp eventually reached 194 and then started falling slowly. When it dropped to 165 and I took it out of the oven. After opening the wrapping and testing it with a fork, I decided it was good to go.

Name:	IMG_8209.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	138443

Name:	IMG_8209-s.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	138444

It turned out a little on the dry side but I was able to retain some juice from wrapping it to counter that. Taste is phenomenal and I can't tell it's bison. I would do it again!!

Comment

• CurlingDog
              CurlingDog commented
              Editing a comment
              When you wrapped it (foil?) at the stall, did you include more liquid with the meat, and if so, what did you add? Broth? beer? water?

• cdd315
              cdd315 commented
              Editing a comment
              CurlingDog I added around half a can of beer. In the end I had about 2 cups of broth.

• CurlingDog
              CurlingDog commented
              Editing a comment
              Proper! when you do it again, i would use the juices as the start to Meatheads Texas BBQ mop and let people dunk or drizzle it on top. ...http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...mop-sauce.html

This is what I love about this site! Everyone's helpful and full of suggestions CurlingDog that's a great suggestion .. I'm going to make that mop sauce tonight. We didn't get a chance to eat much of the bison so I have it chilling in the fridge for tonights dinner

Comment

• CurlingDog
              CurlingDog commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't smoke a brisket any more for friends without making a batch of that sauce to go with it. I'd never hear the end of it if i did omit it. While i haven't tried it on Bison, I did use up some leftover mop sauce with an elk roast and it was just as good. I had plenty left over from his recipe, so i froze some in an old ice cube tray. Drop two or three cubes in a batch of chili for a change of pace. Tasty, and economical!

Well done! Wonder how it would go if a person had some mop sauce already made to add some of that when you wrapped. The butter or rendered beef fay in the sauce would keep the meat moist & add flavor right along.

Comment

HorseDoctor I just made a batch of the mop sauce CurlingDog mentioned and wow, is it ever good!! I would add some when wrapping just to see if it helps for sure.

Comment

That looks delicious!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here