Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck roast, Trisket or part of a Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck roast, Trisket or part of a Brisket

Title kind of sounds like a song lyric, doesn't it Anyway, having family over for the Superbowl. 8 - 10 people. I am going to make a couple racks of baby back ribs. I want to add a beef option to round things out. I've cooked a few full packer briskets, but that would be way to much for this many people, especially with the ribs. So, I am thinking of three options:
    1. Smoked chuck roast. I've never done one but I've been wanting to try it.
    2. Tri-tip smoked like a brisket (aka, Trisket). I've done plenty of reverse seared Tri-tips but never smoked one like a brisket.
    3. A brisket flat (or point if I could find one). Never done just a flat. Seems like people struggle with keeping flats cooked by themselves moist.
    So, there are the options. I think they would all be a good size to add to the ribs. I'll either throw whatever I choose on the Memphis pellet grill with the ribs or I might fire up a Weber kettle for the beef instead, just because I can

What's is my best possibility for success, considering I've never cooked any of these before.

A smoked chuck roast is easy and would be great as pulled beef sandwiches for the game. One of my faves.

Comment

I also vote for a chucky. Pulled or sliced, (diagonally), works very well not only for sammies, but also for tacos or quesadillas or burritos or... If you choose tacos, you can have a "make your own" station set up to make it easier on you.

Just cook it like a butt, but use a beef rub or just S&P.

Comment

Chuck roast. I smoke them often to use in stew

Comment

Go with chuck roast smoked like a brisket. Wonderful way to have on of those...

Comment

Also vote for the chuck roast, definitely foil boat it or wrap it imo depending on sliced/pulled and desired level of bark. Ive had too many chuckies be a little disappointing, personally, when ive done neither.

Comment

Another in the Chuck roast fan club, and another in the Foil boat it. So good & everyone loves good pulled beef.

Comment

Mmmmmmm. Smoked Chuck Roast.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	3E02C181-2070-49A8-A50C-1CB89942CE68.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1374238
                Click image for larger version

Name:	99B64D48-427C-4E59-82DF-5D42F3F3BA26.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1374237

I like to toss around the shredded smoked chuck roast in a pan with some French onion soup then serve it on a roll with prepared horseradish.

Comment

Originally posted by ssandy_561 View Post
                  I like to toss around the shredded smoked chuck roast in a pan with some French onion soup then serve it on a roll with prepared horseradish.
                  Good lord that sounds good. What a great idea!

Comment

• mrichie1229
                    mrichie1229 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +1!

Chuck roast. It requires minimal trimming and is usually cut to a size that doesn't result in a boatload of cooked meat. It's very forgiving to higher cook temperatures and when it's done it's really darn good.

I smoke brisket once per year. I do several chuckies.

Comment

Make sure you find a well marbled chuck roast. There’s a lot of chuck roasts out there that have the big vein of fat but the meat itself has very little marbling. If you pull one without decent marbling, it will be dry.

Comment

Wow, overwhelming support for the chuck roast! Thanks everyone.

So, could I just serve it as slices, like I would with brisket? No tacos or sandwiches, just slices to go along with ribs, beans, corn bread muffins and whatever else people bring?

If I wanted to go for pulled beef sandwiches, what, if anything should I add after pulling? We have some Sweet Baby Rays barbecue sauce, but I think that would be too sweet for beef..

Comment

I agree on staying away from Sweet Baby Ray's or similar sauces. Here's a homemade one from the free side that is excellent and pairs well with beef:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...arbecue-juice/

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here