Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked chuck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked chuck question

Is there a different IT for sliced vs pulled chuck?

If you want to pull it, check for probe tender at about 203. some will have the probe go through like it is a hot poker through butter around 200, others 207 ish. If you want slice-able as opposed to pulled, it will be a lower temp. What are you trying to do?

Comment

Takes a pretty high internal (205+) to pull chuck.

Comment

Just not sure if pulled is what I want to accomplish. We can slice brisket, right? But everything I've read suggests that an IT of less than around 195-200 may result in tough meat.

Comment

I did one yesterday and pulled at 203 due to time restrictions. Pulled it after hour or two cambro. Was tough and not fully broken down. I got advice today to goto 207. Flavor of mine was still great and i chopped it up after the pull didn't work as planned. Great sandwiches either way. Used Holy Cow rub from Meat Church. Good stuff.

Comment

My rub preference, so far, is Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub. You need to figure out if you want to pull or slice. Personally, I like pulled. I also, gasp, wrap it, reserve the juice and put it in the bowl I pull it in.

Remember, no rules in the bedroom, or kitchen!

Comment

Slices/chops at 203 F, usually takes 207 F or higher to pull.

I like to wrap it with a little beef broth when the bark looks the way I want it, which is usually at an internal temp is between 170 F and 180 F. This lets me save a lot of the juices, which I pour some of over the meat after chopping/pulling.

I use Big Bad Beef Rub. I've learned it's best when you use coarsely ground black pepper and add 1/2 to 1 tsp of cumin.

Smoked chuck roast is some of the best stuff I've ever tasted.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                David Parrish , you use a manual pepper mill?

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah I got an automated one for X-Mas but it doesn't hold a lot of pepper, so I usually just grind it out. Kind of a pita but it's better than using off the shelf pepper.

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                WOW! I'm surprised!

Thank you, David Parrish !

Left overs made great tacos last night.

Comment

I did my first chuckies two weeks ago, dry brined 10lbs of chuck roasts and used BBR. Smoked with my Weber and SnS with Jack Daniel's chips to 190, then put in disposable roasting pan and covered with foil up to ~205 and feux cambro'd for 2 hours. I described it as a brisket and pulled pork had a delicious baby. My new favorite for sure.

Comment

• mayapoppa
                  mayapoppa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Delicious baby"... that's just wrong.

Here's my chuck roast recipe. It's grounded in the AmazingRibs brisket recipe, but with a few tweaks.

SnS Grills is the leading provider of high-quality BBQ charcoal inserts and grills. Our inserts and grills are perfect for backyard barbecues, camping trips, tailgating or any outdoor adventure. From beginner to championship BBQ-ing we have a solution for your small batch smoking and grilling needs. We help you BBQ!

This can be done on any smoker. Doesn't have to be a kettle/SnS.

Comment

And here's a link to the topic of smoking chuck roasts on the Pit Barrel Cooker. Dave David Parrish opened that discussion with his excellent recipe.

Last week I just happened upon these two beauties while shopping at Costco. These are Angus Chuck Roasts that together weigh in at a little under 5 lbs. I brought

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here