Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A late stall???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A late stall???

This one is new to me...

Put on a 12lb (after trimming) brisket at 0500 this morning. Temp started about 325F for the first hour or so, then maintained around 250F. Temp outside started at 40F and now about 50F. This won't affect anything as it is in a rather large cinder block, firebrick lined pit. Temps are taken with a thermapen and continuous with 2 igrill probes. These have always been extremely accurate.

My question is around the stall. I always experience this about 160 to 165 F. Today, I pushed right through to 185F. I wrapped it in butcher paper (very nice dark color) thinking it would continue to 203F. Then it stalled (at 185F), even dropping to 184F. It has been there for a couple hours, obviously in a late stall.

Anyone else had this happen? I am not worried but merely curious.

There can be a second. I had one last night at 154, my second is now at 187. Brisket flat.

Comment

I guess I either have t seen that or, more likely, didn't notice it. I was thinking maybe I trimmed too much fat off.

I'll keep watching and update as it moves through. Sitting at 186F right now.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine dropped to 186 when I took the lid off to check on the bark, it kindly went back to 187 where it has been quite comfy for some time.

I'm curious as to what is going on with these "rogue" water molecules, and why they didn't get jiggy with the first major "evaporative cooling movement" of the great pastrami smoke of 1/23/16.

Comment

They are just plain stubborn! But in the end, we win out. I just hit 203F (8-1/2 hours) and it is nice and soft. Wrapped in a towel and in the cooler until 145F.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Good deal. I'm still at 187. I let my pit go up to 250+ to get 'er done. Still would like some more bark on top the flat. Not as probe tender as I would like, but I figured I would need 190+ to get any of that.

Turned out fantastic! Flat was nice and smoky, not too dry. Pulled apart like perforated paper. Point was pure butter!

Sat in cooler until 153F...couldn't wait until 145F. Trying to post a few pics before, during and after slicing.

Thanks for the advice. I'll start paying attention to a second stall!
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice brisket nice knife!!!

Comment

Great looking bark. Congrats on a nice cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here