Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrapping brisket in butcher paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrapping brisket in butcher paper

OK, we have all seen the video of you know who wrapping the brisket in butcher paper. Is this just a slightly less thermally efficient version of the Texas crutch? SURELY Meathead has some nuclear physicists who have compared temperature, humidity and the emission of intermediate vector bosons of the two approaches ---- Frankly I like the idea much better than the wrap in foil as I (guess) the bark retention/formation is better. This has to be solved science right? And if not?

Or maybe the foil is better for tougher meat that needs it???

In case you have not seen it

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeh, I watched his videos after I started wrapping.

I did two briskets with one in foil and one in BP. I wrapped so late so there wasn't much time to really see a difference. Both crutched at 194 and both juicy with plenty bark.

I like the butcher paper for the price.

However, foil is cleaner going in and out of my PBC with multiple briskets, if I am going to refrigerate and reheat foil works better, and on some of these Selects, resting in just butcher paper doesn't quite work out as for as tenderness goes. Seems like it allows the brisket to cool off too much.

On a nice Choice, it does fine.

Comment

I foil wrapped a prime a couple of weeks ago and it was quite amazing. Easily the best brisket I've ever had, and I'm from Austin. Though I've never waited in line at Franklin's, but after watching videos I think we'll maybe try to grab some over Christmas when I visit next.

I'm planning to butcher paper wrap a choice brisket this weekend. Though it's not a fair test since the grade of beef is different, new brisket is 4.5 pounds more, I'm trying dry brining for the first time, and with my newly installed CyberQ Wifi I'll get much better control of my grill. Side note, after 3 hours of testing the CyberQ without food it's holding +3 degrees/-1 degree at 225. I'm stoked, and even better the wifi setup was cake once I realized it's got an older 802.11b chip with limited encryption options.

There are pluses and negatives of both. The butcher paper hopefully lets some steam out so you don't soften the bark too much. The alum foil could and probably does have some minor amount of aluminum transfer and frankly I'm okay being a bit paranoid about avoiding alzheimer's.

Comment

Question - Is there a difference between butcher paper and freezer paper?

Comment

Originally posted by bep35 View Post
          Question - Is there a difference between butcher paper and freezer paper?
          Butcher paper is a kraft paper and has not been waxed or coated. Freezer paper has a waxed coating and SHOULD NOT be used for your smoker--- but it is fine in the microwave

Comment

• bep35
            bep35 commented
            Editing a comment
            Perfect. Thanks!

Originally posted by fracmeister View Post
          Butcher paper is a kraft paper and has not been waxed or coated. Freezer paper has a waxed coating and SHOULD NOT be used for your smoker--- but it is fine in the microwave
          There are actually a few types of butcher paper, some are called "peach treated', others bleached and then unbleached. You want the unbleached untreated paper. If you happen to live in socal, you could stop by can get a few hundred feet from me since I don't think I'll be using up all 900 of mine for quite some time!

I wouldn't recommend using butched paper from a butcher unless you can tell it hasn't been treated. A lot of butcher paper I've found has a wax coating on one side to help limit air exchanges.

Comment

Use a USDA Food Grade butcher paper. There are many suppliers out there. Here is a link that sells the Texas Pink that Franklin uses: http://www.oren-intl.com/food-service-paper/
            Last edited by bbcoops; September 18, 2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here