Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flippen Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flippen Sear

Flippen sear for the win, is it best?

(2) The Best Way To Cook Steak? | Techniquely with Lan Lam - YouTube

I never cook steaks in a pan. Always on the grill, but that's just me. I could nit-pick a couple of her points, but basically that is how I cook a steak.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Me too - TripleB . I dry brine and go straight to the roaring hot grill where I flip frequently until I get the crust I want, then it's off to the indirect side until I reach my finished temp.

Comment

I think a lot of food writers live in apartments and don't have grills.

Comment

I had to do a steak inside last night on the cast iron pan. The weather made it impossible to use the outdoor grill. It comes out ok,but i prefer the grill. I do flip every minute but don't start with a cold pan. A friend tried this a while back and said it worked.

Comment

Interesting, for the last 3-4 years I've been SV to 130 then charcoal hot on the PK when grill grates get to 600 then the steak goes on 1.5 minutes rotate 45 degrees, at 3 minutes flip at 4.5 rotate 45 degrees, and probe for final temperature, most of the time pulling off before 6 minute's > that is a lot of steps compared to cold sear.

What I love about this video is that you showed us different techniques before showing and explaining why a cold sear is better. We got to actually see the benefits instead of just being told. If it's successful for me, it could be my new method of cooking steak.

Thanks for sharing BBQluv

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome

• RlsRls
              RlsRls commented
              Editing a comment
              I cant justify lighting a batch of charcoal for a 3 minute process. If I SV, I do stove top sear. But mostly Do them all on the grill, Front sear flip flip flip if the steaks are thin, OR revearse sear if the steaks are thicker.

I cook all of my steaks on the grill and flip them every 10 degrees until they reach 105 degrees then I take them off pat any excess moisture off while the coals come up to temperature then I sear them on each side in 5 degree increments until I get to 125 degrees.

Comment

Generally, stick with a reverse sear.

I will either raise the grate on My Sant Maria or put the steaks in the main chamber
              !00 degrees or so the steaks go over a hot fire- flip as needed!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Santa Maria.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1339767

Comment

Not to rain on a parade here, but I posted this a month or three ago, yup.

Comment

• RiverJeff
                  RiverJeff commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So you know FireMan I read it than too!

Yeah, I am a fan of the continuous flip method.

Pig tail flippers are key for this method. It makes it really easy!

Comment

Planning a couple of chuck eye steaks along with mushroom gravy and baked potatoes for tonight - if its still raining I'll be giving this technique a whirl tonight!

The one thing I don't like is those uncooked looking pasty edges on her steak. When grilling, that's not an issue, but with her medium-heat skillet, I personally would hold the steak in tongs and put some color on each edge.

Comment

I cook steaks both ways, the nice thing about searing on cast iron is that you develop fond that can be made into a pan sauce. I've used the method explained in this recipe a lot: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/peppercorn_steak/ . You don't move the steak for the initial 4 minutes, which, I think, facilitates fond creation. Seems to me that flipping it constantly would impair the development of fond, which, if you're not making a sauce, would not be an issue.

Comment

I use this method frequently. I did a Flat Iron steak on my Pit Boss griddle two nights ago. Wifey said it was the best one yet. They always turn out great. And so simple. Bonus: I can cook my side of mushrooms right along with it. Sometimes some hashed browns too. All in one spot at the same time with no kitchen fuss.

Comment

Well, I watched the video, and followed the technique to a "T" for two thick chuck eye steaks today. It's been raining, seemingly forever, and is actually unseasonably warm, and about 99% humidity outside. EVERYTHING outside, even under the pavilion, is simply wet. Heavy rain alternating with drizzle and mist that just drifts up under the overhangs. My garage floor was wet about 6-8 feet in from the door after it was open for a while.

So, tonight was the night, and a first time for me to cook steaks in a cheap Oxo non-stick skillet!

First - I think this technique of flipping every 2 minutes on high heat for first flip, and medium heat rest of cook, would work better with a more intact piece of meat. My chuck eyes had some fat seams and started falling apart on me as they cooked. But, the results were great! Just pepper before the cook, and kosher salt after.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	1340235 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	1340236

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here