Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Brisket Stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Brisket Stall

Cooked a 14lb brisket over the weekend on my Traeger Pellet grill. This is the second time I've had this happen but there was no stall. Took just a little over 8 hrs to cook to 203 @ 275F temp. It was around 20 degrees when I started it at 2 am. Was trying to put some reasoning behind why this might happen. I've thought maybe its the way the pellet grill has a forced air all the time that helps reduce the stall. Anyone else seen this or might be able to offer a reason?

I was really expecting a 12 hour cook. Imagine my surprise when my temp alarm went off so early. I've had one other brisket do this on my Traeger. I Just took it as a fluke deal. It was smaller brisket.

Beats me, but my guess is the 275*

Comment

Typically even cooking at 300 will produce a short stall at the 185-ish mark.

I'd like to get a pellet cooker to "test" that out.

Comment

• Mleecline
        Mleecline commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd definitely like some more testing done on it. Good news though it might really reduce my overnight cooks.

Had a similar experience. New to pellet grills, bought one - Camp Chef - on Jan 1 2016. Put it together, ran it for a few hours and even cooked a couple of stakes for the wife and I. Went and bought a 12 lb packer brisket - trimmed - loaded it up with my rub and put it in the fridge. Up at 4am cranked the pellet grill up set for low smoke brisket was on by 4:30. Expecting a 12hr+ cook was surprised to see 200 degree internal temp after 9 1/2 hrs. After 4 hrs on low smoke 180 to 200 temp wrapped it in foil and set temp to 225. Had a manuel thermometer on the grill plates temp never went over 250. After it reached 200 internal temp I put in a cooler for 2 hrs. Cut it up and was very tender and tasted great. I am new to this, first time I have cooked a whole brisket. Don't know if I did anything wrong or did it rite but enjoyed the outcome.

Comment

After I had my first brisket not stall I had started doing the same as you jharner. I'd smoke at 180 till about 165 IT then kick up 225 to finish. It definitely extended the cook, but if there was a stall it was too short for me to notice. When I have more time I'm going to throw one on my stick burner and pellet grill at same time and same temp. I'm starting to get convinced the pellet grill will reduce smoke times. Not sure if that's a good thing on those nice beer drinking days though..

Comment

Never a bad time for a good Coors beer. The way I look at it the pellet smoker might be giving a little more time to play with the grand kids

Comment

Did you leave some exterior fat cap on? One time I got a little rambunctious with my fat cap trimming and trimmed it pretty tight, then simply decided to remove it all. Had the quickest cook of my life. 1/4" is recommended to be left on, and it be positioned between the heat and the meat, so fat cap down on a pellet grill.

Comment

I left about 1/4" fat cap. But I did have it fat cap up.

Comment

Well that takes away the easy answer! Hard to say if fat cap up was the culprit, but next time try using the fat cap as sort of a heat shield.

Comment

higher temps do help you power through the stalls when left unwrapped, i've found. Pellet grills are one big convection oven, with more air changes per hour than a typical grill, at least that is my experience. Leaving it wrapped in a faux cambro (or even at 180 on the grill) when you are done will help finish it off when cooking at a higher temp, but I've also found it's a lot more difficult to nail the sweet spot for consistent internal temp and uniform "probe tenderness" before it overcooks. It can be done, and lots of people would swear it easier than what i allude. Low and slow wins the race every time. YMMV

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here