Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami on the new/used Longhorn stick-burner #Bark360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami on the new/used Longhorn stick-burner #Bark360

Fired up the stick burner for the maiden voyage, Pastrami per MH's recipe. Except one fubar, I trimmed all the fat off per the corned beef recipe before reading to leave an 1/8 if smoking for Pastrami so I ran a little hotter so as to cook it faster and maybe it wouldn't dry it out. It tuned out excellent, very tender and moist! Corned the flat from a prime brisket cut in half for 5 days 8 hour desalination 2 days with rub and smoked at 250 -275 to a 175 IT and wrapped in BP till 201, approximately 5hrs with red oak. Sourdough bread (do not like rye) The Burn 's Russian dressing, Swiss cheese and coleslaw made with McCormicks Superslaw mix. Pics of my Late snack!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_15854.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	132076
    Just warming up

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2593.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	132075 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2592.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	132074 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2595.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	132069 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2600.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	132073 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2597.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	132072 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2596.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	132068 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2601.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	132078
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Powersmoke_80; January 5, 2016, 12:26 AM.

Oh, by the way, No steaming or rest straight off the smoker to the table.

Comment

THAT is a beautiful sight! Nice job my friend. #Bark360

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Huskee for all your suggestions.

Looks great!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the Russian dressing recipe it worked fantastic on this!👍

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you like it. I was happy to find the recipe - so much better than just ketchup & mayo. You should also try MH's Creamy Cole Slaw recipe - hand chopped. Also an easy recipe was a big hit.

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        The Burn, yes i will have to try that ' I love a good coleslaw although this McCormicks packet of spices mixed with Mayo Vinegar and sugar and fresh sliced cabbage is very good.

I'm not leaving anymore fat for pastrami. I'll take the bark.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        A couple years ago Subway was featuring pastrami subs and it looked so good I bought one. Worst $8 I ever spent, fatty gristly terrible meat. And I am generally a big Subway fan, decent sandwiches for the price point. Since then I want zero fatty spots in my pastrami. IMO the flavor doesn't need to come from fat in pastrami it comes from everything else. So I'm with you there.

What a great renaming cook! How did that rig run? Oh have you given that baby a name?

Powersmoke_80

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        It ran well, kept vent and stack set and just opened the door when I put a couple logs in to let it catch and burn hotter for a few minutes.
        As for a name, we'll see😉 Jon Solberg
        Last edited by Powersmoke_80; January 5, 2016, 10:40 PM.

Looks like it went well. That color is really on point. I am looking foreword to taking this on this weekend. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do It! Is it going on the KBQ?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, its the only smoker I use now. Powersmoke_80

Congrats on the successful cook Powersmoke_80 . It looks awesome!

Comment

A thing of beauty right there! MH's Pastrami is amazing, it is the best single thing I have ever Q'd.

I agree with Huskee and Jerod Broussard, don't leave any surface fat, there is more than enough fat within the meat itself and that way you get more bark.

Comment

I trim my pastrami the same way I do my brisket - one side gets trimmed very well, the other side goes to 1/8-1/4" The pastrami that I posted the other day was done this way and there was plenty of bark and plenty of the delicious fat.

Comment

NICE NICE NICE Powersmoke_80

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks DWCowles and I appreciate all the info you have posted on running a stick burner, It has been very helpful!

Looks awesome!

Comment

If I am making Pastrami. Is it possible for me scale up the recipe to accommodate a larger piece of meat? I was thinking about doing a huge flat to get more pastrami. The only reason I ask, is I think there are some problems when doing this when you are curing something.

Comment

• bbqoaf
                bbqoaf commented
                Editing a comment
                I did an 11 lb. packer for which I used a triple batch of brine. I cut it in half for the corning stage to increase surface area. Worked fine, although there was a tiny little sphere (about the diameter of a quarter) of meat deep inside the thickest part of where the point sits on top of the flat that was not fully cured. It looked just like regular cooked brisket within a see of bright pink.

Pastrami is amazing.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                From what I remember as long as the strength is the same (ratio of salts to water) you can scale up, and as long as the meat is covered fully you should be good. If you're doing a flat this should work but thick meat needs more time for the cure to make it all the way inward...

• Meathead
                Meathead commented
                Editing a comment
                I discuss the concepts of scaling in this article http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ing_meats.html

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
              If I am making Pastrami. Is it possible for me scale up the recipe to accommodate a larger piece of meat? I was thinking about doing a huge flat to get more pastrami. The only reason I ask, is I think there are some problems when doing this when you are curing something.
              Curing is such a tricky thing to be 100% safe when it comes to scaling. I'll mention Meathead on this so he can share his advice when he sees it.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Powersmoke_80 great questions, I've kinda wondered the same, but I don't know the answer. I'd guess a little of both. If Meathead doesn't notice this I'll forward it to him later...

• Powersmoke_80
                Powersmoke_80 commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee Thanks Buddy, Inquiring minds want to know!Hee Hee

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for passing this on to the boss Huskee

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
              I've got an 8lb brisket on the way to pastrami-ville. I did the same thing I do with bacon, cut it down and make it in individual batches, in this case 2x 4lb-ers. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Jim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here