Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dinosaur sized Beef Short Ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinosaur sized Beef Short Ribs!

A good buddy works in the wholesale meat business and got me a case of these gigantic CAB 3 bone slabs of beef short ribs. I rubbed them down with some Slap Yo Daddy all purpose beef rub and smoked them up! They did turn out excellent although i am still partial to braised beef short ribs in red wine sauce.

For reference to size, the plate the finished ribs are on is 7"x11" Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3184.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	131941 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3204.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	131942 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3209.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	131943 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3208.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	131944

eugenek check these guys out! are these similar to what you cook up? I think Sonny usually buys Harris Ranch?

Comment

I'll take beef short ribs, especially these dinosaur, over any BBQ meat.

Comment

Looks good, I did some myself, flavor is excellent but too much fat for me.

Comment

smokinfatties ...

Nice, very nice. Good cook!

Comment

smokinfatties Love Love Love the Bone-In Beef Short Ribs!
            What time and temp did you cook them in? Were they super-tender? The ones I've cooked shrank a good bit on the bone, and were super tender, the fat rendered down wonderfully. I'm memory serves, my last big group were 275 for 8 hours. I need to take better notes.

Comment

• smokinfatties
              smokinfatties commented
              Editing a comment
              i cooked these at about 275 for about 5 hours, foiled for the last hour until they got to around 200. i did two slabs on the WSM and the fat rendered down nicely and very tender but they were a little fatty for my taste! Beef backs are my personal favorite but these were great too! So much meat on the baby backs!

The short ribs available in this town better be braised for about 5 days.

Comment

eugenek does cook these, and he does a great job. I know because he's put me to work serving them a couple of times. I came across some large singles at the butcher's the other day. My father-in-law, visiting from Italy, was amazed. I took home four just so he could go back and brag to everyone about how his son-in-law in America does things. It was a good New Year's Day meal.
              Last edited by jmott7; January 4, 2016, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• eugenek
                eugenek commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm glad those turned out good. Great send off for your in-laws!

smokinfatties these look fantastic!! Wish i could purchase some beef (not so) short ribs like these. Definitely, one of my favs!

Comment

Lookin good! I like the little meat shrine you built there. Do you know what grade they were? There are a couple clumps of fat in there that I'm wondering if those could've rendered a bit more with time.

Comment

• smokinfatties
                smokinfatties commented
                Editing a comment
                they were CAB - so top choice, maybe next time i'll keep them on a bit longer to see if more of that renders out. do you check the temp on your slabs of short ribs? mine were around 200.

Lookin' mighty purdy!

Comment

I'd love to get my hands on such well marbled beef ribs! Looks amazing! That could possibly sway me from pork to beef when it comes to ribs. All that fatty goodness :-)

Comment

Looks great! I just did back ribs this past weekend and I thought they were pretty fatty. They were still very tasty though and a nice change from pork ribs. Around Atlanta you can't find anything other than spare and baby back ribs. There have been beef back ribs in the grocery recently probably just from all of the demand for prime rib.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did beef back ribs a couple of times over the summer and I thought they were pretty fatty, but still delicious. I did them sous vide at 135°F for 48 hours then finished on the gas grill. I dry brined and seasoned with BBBR before bagging, then another dusting of rub before grilling.

• josht138
                    josht138 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That sounds really good. I have been on the fence about a sous vide. I've just in the last year gotten into BBQ'ing, so I want to give it a bit more time before I start distracting myself with new gadgets.

I recently started a blog as an outlet for me and I'm going to post about the beef ribs hopefully tomorrow or later this week.

• smokinfatties
                    smokinfatties commented
                    Editing a comment
                    josht138 send the link when you have a chance i'd like to check them out!

smokinfatties those'd make Fred Flintstone envious!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fred-Flintstone-Wallpaper-the-flintstones-5421818-1280-1024.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	132150

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here