Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been away, time to make smoke again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been away, time to make smoke again

Been in the hospital off and on since mid-summer. Even had the pleasure (/sarcasm) of 8 days in ICU. Still not 100% (if you know of an extra kidney, please email me. lol), but slowly getting better.

Anyway, started the summer with a bang - think i did a total of 11 briskets (all packers, all delicious thanks to this board), 8 butts and 5 or 6 racks of ribs. I used to think that they would serve ribs in heaven, now i'm pretty sure it will be brisket.
    Anyway, I wasn't up to brisket for Christmas (did a prime rib in the oven, mmmmmmm good), but i put a 17#'er in the electric smoker (/hangs head in shame) last night. Our temps here last week were -30's, but last night was about 25*. Unfortunately, i have a 15 yo son who's sole job was to wake up every two hours and check the temp. Summer, ambient temp was 70s and a cook at 225'ish would take 16-19 hours. Last night, the temp was still rising to 225 when i crashed. The meat hit 203* after just 11 hours. Anyone want a 15 yo boy? He can work hard, just don't let him near your smoker....
    Anyway, have the meat in the faux box. Just very concerned that we aren't going to eat for 8 hours. Ideas would be much appreaciated. In the absence of that, i will just slice it up in about 4 hours, then warm it slow like i do leftovers. Thanks guys.

Glad you doing better. Sister needs a liver. I've only had plenty kidney stones.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      Glad you doing better. Sister needs a liver. I've only had plenty kidney stones.
      Thanks Jerod. Liver is tough - she will be in my prayers.
      Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Comment

1buba Welcome back! Hope your post means you are out of the pits and back into the Pit. I'll add you to my prayers, and I am wishing you a Merry Christmas (we are only 6 days through the twelve days of Christmas), and a Happy New Year. If you are cooking brisket I know there is merriment.
        Last edited by LA Pork Butt; December 31, 2015, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I would put it in the fridge until a few hours before your going to eat. Then I would heat it in the oven until your internal hits 165 F. That would be my game plan. Not sure if thats the way it should be down but I have done this in the same situation and everything came out just fine.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker, Where Have You Been? HAPPY NEW YEARS, GO VIKINGS! 👍🍻💰🍻👍
            From Fargo ND

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Danjohnston949 I have just been busy with the holidays and work. I have been cooking but just haven't had a lot of time to hang out in the Pit. I know that ain't no kind of excuse but thats all I got. Happy new year to you as well and Go VIKES!!

1buba, Welcome Back! That being down and out AIN'T NO FUN! I know I was in a Nursing Home from Jan 24 2015 until May 13 2015 due to a fall! Still in Therapy but at least I can do a little Rough Cooking on the Weber?
          Eat Well and Prosper! HAPPY NEW YEAR! 👍😃💰😃👍
          From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• 1buba
            1buba commented
            Editing a comment
            So sorry to hear it @Danjhnston949!
            it does suck indeed. I guess as we age a bit we have to et used to it. But, this too shall pass!!!!

Happy New Years, and may the blue smoke be with you!

I enjoyed reading your post 1buba! Welcome back! I hope you get well soon and get everything you need to stay healthy and cooking and sharing pics here. I have two kidneys but I'm just not sure on how to get one to you...I'm thinking USPS' Flat-Rate box would be the most economical, but it's the in-between activities that I'm stuck at

Comment

1buba and Danjohnston949 so sorry to read of your down times! May 2016 bring your heLth back, and may you have fun doing it!
            Welcome back to you both!

Comment

New beginnings for 2016!!!! Y'ALL get better now ya'hear!

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                I enjoyed reading your post 1buba! Welcome back! I hope you get well soon and get everything you need to stay healthy and cooking and sharing pics here. I have two kidneys but I'm just not sure on how to get one to you...I'm thinking USPS' Flat-Rate box would be the most economical, but it's the in-between activities that I'm stuck at
                HAHAHAHA. Thanks Huskee. I'm sitting in dialysis now, finally feeling up to checking in again. :-)
                I'm an interesting case. Blood Type is B-, but since this will be my 3rd kidney, they have to match other things. Odds are 1 in 5,000,000, which, when you do the math and remove the folks that couldn't make the decision to donate for themselves, leaves me about 35 possibilities in the entire US. It isn't a big deal though, i know that God has a plan, and i'm good with that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here