Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

non-Texas smoked brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non-Texas smoked brisket

Hi, all.

Goddamn, I love brisket. I love love love brisket. I love Texas brisket. I could be perfectly happy with getting rid of all other poultry, beef and pork (but not fish), if I still had my Texas brisket- and maybe a braised brisket, from time to time, for the Jewish holidays. I love brisket.

After cooking up a good hundred pounds of smoked brisket this year, I finally convinced myself to use more than simply dalmatian rub on the meat- I used garlic powder, too. Outstanding. I've made a good three or four briskets since, using this enhanced dalmatian rub. Exquisite, every time.

My love song to cow breast notwithstanding, I have a question. You all, I think, can appreciate how much I love brisket, and when we talk barbecue, brisket is short for Texas brisket. My question: does any other part of the South (or elsewhere, come to think of it) have their own unique non-Texas brisket tradition? A different way of preparing the meat? Or are all basically variations on the Texas theme?

Smoking another one on the weekend, and I'm trying to get myself jazzed up for it! Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by biggreenmatt View Post
    Hi, all.

My question: does any other part of the South (or elsewhere, come to think of it) have their own unique non-Texas brisket tradition? A different way of preparing the meat? Or are all basically variations on the Texas theme?
    biggreematt, my understanding is Texas brisket tends to be flavored with more ground pepper than anywhere else in the country. So I think if you remove the focus of black pepper and stick with other spices I think you'll have moved outside of Texas. I'm sure the guys from North Carolina can say this with more confidence than me, but I believe if you use mustard as a bonding agent, and ever so slight flavor age, you'll be doing a North Carolina brisket.

Comment

I agree, but I'm not from TX so this is just my uninformed understanding. I do know that mustard is EXCELLENT on smoked beef. I would love to try a mustard sauce on brisket. I've had both kebabs and back ribs dipped in mustard and it was heavenly.

Comment

I haven't had a lot of brisket in Texas, but what I have had were from people who believed that the brisket should not be trimmed at all before smoking. I love brisket and don't mind a little fat but a couple of them I had to trim before I could eat.
        As far as seasonings are concerned, I like a little freshly ground cumin in the rub.

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Related back to the NY brisket article - Franklin does suggest trimming to 1/4-1/8"

My dad makes awesome brisket in southwest Louisiana, but it is started on the pit and finished in an army pot with plenty gravy.

He cooks till it gets dark on the pit.

He then puts it in an army pot and cooks and scoops out the fat as it render outs.

Slices against the grain and serves in gravy.

Comment

I have no idea what style it is other than mine, but my wife likes dill weed and celery seed in the dalmatian rub. I use garlic powder, too. But the dominant flavor is ground pepper and salt (from the dry-brine.)

Comment

I have cooked a good number of HOFs on my BGE injecting with beef broth and using Dizzy Pigs Cowboy rub with turbinado (50/50) with good success. On my next one, though, I'm going to try Meathead's recipe. Actually, now that I have the Hasty Bake, I'm going to cook 2!

Comment

Originally posted by biggreenmatt View Post
              Hi, all.

Goddamn, I love brisket. I love love love brisket. I love Texas brisket.
              I'm not sure what makes a brisket a "Texas" Brisket and MH's recipe on this site doesn't necessarily make that clear that I could see, just as there is no real distinction as to the difference between a "Texas" crutch and a regular ole crutch. I inject with Butcher's, and use a dalmatian like rub and then usually I use a pan crutch (meat in tightly covered pan) but today I am trying the "warp the meat tightly crutch" to test the "less air around meat - less moisture escapes" idea. Have a really small packer - 6.5 lb after trim. Going a little higher in temperature to 275* since I have less time and there is rain around. I never worry about enough smoke because (I think) too much smoke is much worse than not enough. MH has pretty well established that the smoke ring is a color change pretty independent of smoke....and that it really is a cosmetic thing. I think It may be that what makes a brisket a Texas brisket is getting it in Texas. It seems, and I could be missing something, that there aren't nearly the well known regional variations on brisket that exist with ribs and especially pulled pork.

Comment

I think a lot is regional as well, Georgia for example has a lot of tradition with pork ribs, but nothing on beef ribs which is the opposite in TX. My wife loves the pulled chicken we get at a local place, but we rarely find it elsewhere.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here