Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead's prime rib question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead's prime rib question

Recipe states in the overview to dry brine for 24hrs and marinade the rub 24hrs. In the details for the recipe, it states to dry brine for 24hrs and then apply the rub 1hr before cooking. I know it says you can apply the rub anytime before cooking. I just want clarification that I can apply the rub/paste for 24hrs AFTER the 24hr salt brine?

Thanks in advance!

You can do it either way. The rub/paste is only a surface treatment so its timing isn't terribly important. The salt is what really needs the 24 hrs, or more.

Comment

Thanks man!

Comment

I apply the salt then the rub for convenience. That way I just pull the meat out of the refrigerator and start cooking.

Comment

I apply the salt 36 hours prior to the cook. 12 hours prior to the cook, I apply the wet rub and put the meat on a rack in a pan . I get the Weber / SnS up to temp and go from the fridge to the grill

Comment

Thanks all

I'm not going to do the gravy. That's the only reason for the pan, correct?

Comment

Just thought I would post some pics of my first prime rib using Meathead's recipe. It was a 4lb 13oz roast trimmed weight before cooking and satisfied 6 people with 3 slices left over. Turned out amazing! Even with temp swings of 208-290 degrees on my stupid Traeger, it turned out perfectly. It took about 3 hours to cook. I did drop the temp down to the 180 setting after about a half an hour to slow it down some. Then back up to 225 after a half hour at 180. I only spent maybe 2 minutes reverse searing rolling it around every 10-15 seconds on my Weber gas grill (I was afraid of burning the outside too much due to flare ups). Next time I'll reverse sear longer per side with less turns to preserve more of the bark.

Thanks again to everyone's advice.

Comment

• josht138
                josht138 commented
                Editing a comment
                Great job!

Good job Rod! For more bark I'd suggest trimming a bit more of that surface fat off next time, but that's by no means mandatory, just a "bark" suggestion. It looks great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here