Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas splurge: 20 lbs of Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas splurge: 20 lbs of Prime Rib

True to form, I went to Costco and spent too much money. I decided this year to buy some beef and I went big. Costco had Prime Rib whole bone in for $9.19 / lb so I went for it. (Note: this purchase led to another big purchase of a FoodSaver vacuum sealing system which was also on sale at Costco $20 off).
    I intend to cook a smaller portion for Christmas and save and freeze the rest in steaks for future, thus the FoodSaver (which, I can't believe I waited so long to buy one!).
    My question: how should I slice this thing up? Since one end is smaller then the other, is there a preferred size that would be better for the roast vs individual steaks? I read meatheads recipe/prep which says to remove bone- should I?
    My Christmas meal is small with only 2-4 adults, so no major production.
    I'll be using my Weber kettle with the SnS.
    Thanks!

Britt, I am going to start a War! But for My Money I would slice steaks 1 1/4" Thick from the Small End! The thickness is really your preference but I think you will end up with +- 12oz. to 1 1/4 lb. steaks! Hopefully you have a scale to check! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Danjohnston949 View Post
      Britt, I am going to start a War! But for My Money I would slice steaks 1 1/4" Thick from the Small End! The thickness is really your preference but I think you will end up with +- 12oz. to 1 1/4 lb. steaks! Hopefully you have a scale to check! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
      I'm with Dan, minimum inch and a quarter thick if you go boneless. However, this would be a great opportunity to cut some cowboy steaks with the bone in and cut them at least 2 inches thick. Just my 2.5 cents.

Comment

Looks good, just picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve myself. Luckily a lot of folks are getting boneless so I picked up 10 pounds of beef ribs that I have never been able to find around here before.

Comment

_John_ you are a brilliant man! Thank you for reminding me to look for beef ribs.

Comment

Making progress. Trying to figure out if there is a "chine" I need to remove??

Comment

Start of cook

Comment

Looks great Britt!

Comment

Done.

Comment

Snow crabs????

Comment

What a feast! The neighbors joined forces and all contributed. Tenderloin (on a green egg), king crab legs, prime rib, shrimp side! Fantastic.

Comment

Britt, What a Gorgeous Meal! Eat Well and Prosper! Happy Holidays, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here