Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding Smoked Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding Smoked Prime Rib

I am planning on smoking a prime rib for Christmas. It will be my first attempt. Plan to cook at 200-225 and remove at 130 (135 max). If my timing is a little off, can the prime rib be held in a cooler. I would not expect to be off and need to hold by more than one hour. What impact would holding in this manner have?

If you wrap it properly and fill the cooler properly you will be just fine for a few hours. Read Meathead's instruction on the Faux Cambro. Leave your temp probe in so you can monitor the interior meat temperature. Leaving it in the faux Cambro is a good thing. I prefer to pull it at 125° to 130°. You will have 3° to 5° of carryover cooking.
    Last edited by Breadhead; December 18, 2015, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Ditto what Breadhead said above. I just did two for our Shrine Christmas party and I used an electric roaster to hold it since my rectec will only go as low as 180. I held mine for about 4 hours in the electric roaster set with a 135 temp setting. I used my maverick to determine the setting to use on the dial to make sure the temp was where I wanted it before I put the prime ribs in to it.

Here's a link to how I did it - https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ime-rib-for-25

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        I should mention that I was catering a dinner in a town 20 miles away and could not do a reverse sear, so that's why I cooked it early and held it in the roaster. However, I think that prime rib benefits from a 135 degree holding for several (at least 4) hours. If I was serving this at home, I'd do a quick sear after the holding, just before serving.

I will be cooking on a WSM with a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2. So I can drop the temp pretty low and hold it. Would it be better to hold it on the WSM? If so, at what temp?

Comment

You can hold it in anything that you can get to maintain at least 135 F. That's the minimum safe holding temp, so you want to make sure your temp reading is accurate. If you hold it in a smoker it will continue to pick up some smoke flavor so you'd need to keep that in mind if you don't want a heavier smoke flavor. If you are only looking at holding for an hour or two, you could also just use your cooler. The bark will be moister, but I have yet to have anybody complain!

Comment

I'd cook it at 200 no higher. If things progress too fast for you I'd pull it much sooner than serving temp, and hold it wrapped. Then before serving I'd blast that sucker with a sear so that it's fresh and hot and crispy when you serve, and allow the temp to creep up to 130 during the sear, but not before. This would also eliminate accidental overcooking from carryover.

Comment

Thanks for the inputs. I will cook at 200, remove to cooler to hold, then sear right before serving.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here