Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Beef Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Beef Roast

Good morning,

I am planning to feed 15 meat eaters for Christmas. I cooked prime rib last year on my BGE. This year I plan to cook either prime rib/rib roast or tenderloin on a Weber 18.5" charcoal grill. It's been a while since I've cooked on a Weber and need rough estimate for cook time.

What's my ball-park poundage?

How long to reverse sear?

I know the tenderloin will take less time than the rib roast based on diameter. I am still reading through the site.

Thanks.

Wow, no responses yet. I ordered two 5-bone rib roasts and plan to save bones and fat cap for another couple of meals. So planning to cook both eye roasts on 22.5" Weber at the party.

Comment

Timmy,

Really hard to estimate the time for you. Lots of variables that we don't have. As a general rule we cook by temp as opposed to time but I understand the need to try and get a timeline down.

You may want to consider doing a test cook to get a better feel of how long it takes based on the temp you plan on cooking at and the I.T. You want to achieve.

As for poundage. I would plan on 1lbs deboned and defatted per person but I tend to go big.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; December 20, 2015, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jon, I totally understand it cook to temp. I re-read the article Meathead wrote and 2-3 hours seems to be what I expect and think is what it took me last year. Last year I cooked the same roasts, with the cap on on my BGE. This year it'll be onsite on a 22.5" Weber Kettle. I am planning to test fit my gravy pan and clean up the grill tomorrow.

Comment

I don't know if this will help you but I just smoked a 12 lb strip roast on my BGE at 240-250 grate temperature. It took it 2.5 hours to reach 120*.

Comment

Originally posted by hittman View Post
            I don't know if this will help you but I just smoked a 12 lb strip roast on my BGE at 240-250 grate temperature. It took it 2.5 hours to reach 120*.
            Thanks! I have a BGE but this year I am running on a Weber. That does help and that'w in in with both the article and my last year's experience. I picked up two 5-bone roasts yesterday. Trimmed them and salted them. With ribs and cap removed I have about 9.25# of meat. I'll rub them tomorrow morning. Start fire at 1PM and put them on around 2 pm for 5 pm dinner. Should work out fine. I like the reverse sear a lot since if you are running behind you can just up the temp i the cooker to speed it a along a little.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here