Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thawing frozen prime rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thawing frozen prime rib

I just got a 12 pound 4 bone prime rib from snake river farms for dinner on Saturday. That thing is frozen concrete solid and I'm concerned it won't be fully thawed in time to brine and cook. Any idea how long it will take to thaw in the fridge? Is letting it thaw for a bit on the counter an option or will I poison my family?

Put it in a big pot full of cold water, it will take about 45 minutes per pound to thaw that way.

Comment

Here's a link to thawing meat - http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...wing_meat.html

Comment

How much time do you have? a few days? leave it in the fridge. A couple of hours? if it's still in a cryovac packaging, I would put it in a pot or container big enough to hold it and fill up with cold water. leave the cold water on trickle so that as the meat slowly sucks the heat out of the water it's refreshed with new water (Tilting the container will aid you in this). you can thaw that puppy in a few hours in a pinch. You can cook it when it's partially frozen.. just modify the time requirement.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here