Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long

I Have a corned beef, rubbed for pastrami that has been in the refrigerator for 2 days, I was planning on the smoke today but woke up to rain and wind at 29 with gusts to 45. how long can I safely leave it in the refrigerator?

You should be fine for another 4 or 5 days if you've got it salted properly. This is assuming you mean 2 days out of the original cryovac and you've never allowed the meat to warm up to room temperature. Usually whole muscle cuts will have a fabrication date on the label. Most US beef is good for at least 6 weeks from fabrication, in the original bag. Once you open it you've got anywhere from 3 days to another 3 weeks depending on how it's handled.

Comment

Well actually it was soaking in water for salt removal for a day prior, The is no salt in the rub, but I'm fairly certain there is salt left from the brine and the package date is Jan 16. 2016. Thanks for the response.
      Last edited by JohnF; December 13, 2015, 06:04 PM.

Comment

If it was brined for the "corning" phase, it is pretty well preserved even if you soaked it to de-salt some. Personally I wouldn't worry about a few (or many) days in the fridge other than drying it out some. Keep it wrapped & you will be fine. You will eventually smoke &/or steam it to 203 anyway so preserved & cooked, you're double safe. Enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here