Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked meatloaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked meatloaf

My wife has been bugging me for a smoked meatloaf for a while, so this Sunday I finally obliged. I started with beef chuck steaks and pork shoulder steaks, dry brined for 4 hours, 2:1 beef to pork. The meat grinder on the mixer is great, nothing beats home ground burgers so I thought home ground loaf would be good. Ground it twice through the coarse grind with half an onion and two jalapeños on grind #2. Garlic, fresh ground mixed pepper corn blend (never going back to straight black pepper, the blend of black, pink, white and green pepper corns has so much more flavour), an egg and some fresh bread crumbs were added and then I pressed it into 3 loaves. Onto my Broil King Signet gas grill with cherry wood smoke for 2.5 hours. Did three glazes: meatheads SC mustard BBQ sauce and caramelized onion, blueberry balsamic reduction and brown sugar vinegar Worcester sauce combo, the latter was the best. Took them off at 140 internal temp. They were excellent, next time finer grind and more bread crumbs for more of a true "loaf" texture. The Reubens tonight were unreal.

Looks really good. A question: Shouldn't the internal temp be over 160 for ground meats?

Comment

• _Keith
      _Keith commented
      Editing a comment
      Why do you say that? Grinding the meat folds any bacteria that are on the surface of the meat into the center. It seems to me that the only reason what you are saying would be true is if the meat you're starting with has no bacteria on the surface, and I don't think that's the case. On the other hand, maybe there is likely to be less contamination, I don't know.
      That said, people eat medium rare hamburgers all the time with no ill effects, so it's not like it's guaranteed food poisoning or anything. It's just a matter of odds is all.

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      I was only referring to ground meats, not steaks. I also eat my steaks at 130. You might want to read MH's article on temps.
      We all strive to create tender, juicy, and flavorful meat, but we also want it safe. Monitoring the internal temperature is the best way to have the best of both worlds. Here's the ultimate guide to understanding proper cooking temperatures and food safety to ensure that your meat is cooked perfectly every time.

You can go rare on ground meats of you use sous vide to kill the bacteria
      I have ground burger at home following MH's Steak burger technique. I did the reverse sear and got the internal temp to 160 and it was still super juicy

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Keith and FLBuckeye, I definitely kept the temp above 140 for more than 12 minutes by the time all of the loaves were done and we were eating, so I am pretty sure we were safe.

Good catch, can't be too careful with this stuff.

GREAT Pics Oaf. Cook book quality.

Comment

I had never considered BBQ Meat loaf. Then along comes Oaf telling us about his. My wife loves meat loaf and you, Oaf, are my inspiration to do it. The Pics and presentation is great.

Comment

Those look really good! With the holiday weekend coming up, it might be time to give meatloaf on the cooker a try. Nice pics, too!

Comment

Very nice pics! One of my family's favorites too!

Comment

Thanks guys, much appreciated! I would like to hear how you do it and how yours turn out when you take a crack. Like I say, next time a finer grind and more bread crumbs. This was more of a giant smoked burger than a true meat loaf, but delicious none the less. Ruebens last night with leftovers changed my life.

PS: The secret to the nice pics is the camera+ app on iphone. Breaks the bank at a whopping $1.99, and worth every penny. We don't bring our big SLR hiking in the rockies with us anymore because camera+ does just as good a job.
            Last edited by bbqoaf; August 26, 2014, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I like to live dangerously, I've eaten storebought burger at 153*. [puts sunglasses on and stares off into the middle distance....]

I keep meaning to try a smoked meatloaf too.

Comment

I've been threatening to make Smoked Meatloaf for months. Definitely on the "to-do" list when I get back from my crazy travel schedule in Sept/October. I think I'm home over the weekend of Sept 6-7 and my lovely wife is working that weekend... so it sounds like a plan is coming together. Mow lawn, close pool for winter, smoke meatloaf. Dammit, now I'm hungry!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here