Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greek style bbq fatty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek style bbq fatty

Hi folks,

I felt like grilling something easy today, so I decided to make a greek style bbq fatty. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
    2 lbs ground beef
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp salt
    1 pkg bacon (8-9 streaks)
    3 shallots
    1 pkg (5 oz) feta cheese
    0.8 cups green pitted olives
    0.2 cups cooking cream

Instructions
    Start by mixing the ground beef in a bowl with the salt, cumin and cooking cream. Mix well with your hands. Lay it out on a flat surface that's been covered with saran wrap. Flatten it to a rectangle, roughly 5/8" thick. Chop the shallots, olives and feta cheese finely, and spread over the entire surface. Begin to roll it up using the saran wrap. Once you have it fully rolled up, wrap it in 8-9 streaks of bacon. Make sure you pick it up gently with both hands, as it is easy to break in two before cooked.

I cooked it on indirect heat, at 220° F, for roughly two hours. Then gave it a good reverse sear, as I wasn't happy with the color, it was a bit pale.

The flavor was really good, the feta cheese/olive combo was just right.

Here's the ground beef, with the shallot/olive/feta topping applied:

Click image for larger version

Name:	greek_fatty_1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	125810

Rolled up, ready for bacon:

Name:	greek_fatty_2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	125811

And fully wrapped, time for a little rest in the fridge:

Name:	greek_fatty_3.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	125813

Inspirational fire picture:

Name:	greek_fatty_fire.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	125809

And the final result, fingerlickin' good:

Name:	greek_fatty.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	125812

I will definitely do this again and again, it came out just right.

Henrik, I am not to big on Olives but Your Roll definitely looks Good! 👍👍👍👍👍. Dan

Comment

I agree w/ Danjohnston949 - I'd have to leave the olives out, but yours looks awesome!

Comment

Wasn't really sure what to expect from a Greek BBQ Fatty but that looks good. I'd also skip the olives as my wife reminds me "I am the only Greek she knows that doesn't like olives"

Comment

That looks delicious, Henrik . How long did it take to get to 165 internal in your smoker? What did you serve it with (just curious)?

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            It didn't take that long. My smoker was humming along at 220 deg F, rock steady. It was done in a little over two hours.

And I should have taken a picture of the plate, it looked really good. I served it with a fresh salad consisting of spinach leaves, cherry tomatoes, roasted pine kernels and a big spoon of thick, natural greek yoghurt. The cool yoghurt went very well together with the smoked meat flavor. And of course some bbq sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's) on the table for those who liked.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Somehow I just knew you'd pair the fatty with a tangy salad, Henrik. Sounds delicious. Thanks for the smoking time/temp info.

Kathryn

"Make sure you pick it up gently with both hands, as it is easy to break in two before cooked."

A giant sushi mat would come in handy for this step. Seriously, building it on parchment paper under the plastic film might provide more stability in rolling and moving it. You could also remove your grill grate and build it on the grate to avoid having to pick it up.

Comment

Looks great. I need to do another one of these soon. Been waaaaaaaay to long.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here