Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving: Smoked Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving: Smoked Prime Rib

This year I decided to roll the dice. I've been "cooking on a Lang" for about a year now, and pretty much have it down to an art. There was limited info on prime rib smoking, so either I figured people didn't know how to do it, never tried it, or don't want to risk a $250 cut of meat if something goes wrong.

My gamble paid off. In trimming the meat before the cook, I also frenched the bones. I cooked this 12 pound prime rib @ 250F to an internal temperature of 133F (~ 5 hours). My Lang is a stick burner, and I cooked over oak wood. I let the prime rib rest for 15 minutes then started carving it up. The meat turned out medium to medium rare.

The rub I used was stored purchased - Uncle Chris' Gourmet Steak Seasoning from Academy Sports. Although smoke doesn't penetrate fat, the trimming I did allowed the smoke to come into contact with the meat. The smoke was subtle and not over powering.

In all, everyone thought this would turn out bad - no one ever does this apparently. However, everyone raved about it and 7 adults and 2 children put away 12 pounds of prime rib! :-)

~ Chris

that looks great. did you sear it at all?

Comment

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
      that looks great. did you sear it at all?
      No, I didn't need to sear it. The bark formed well at 250-260 degrees.

Comment

GeorgiaPine, Chris that is one Gorgious Cut of Beef done the way it ought to be Done in MHO! 👍👍🐂👍👍. Eat Well and Prosper, Dan

Comment

Ohmigosh, is that ever gorgeous. Well done (in an attaboy way, not meatwise), GeorgiaPine !

Kathryn

Comment

Rolling the dice definitely paid off, great pictures of a very nice cut of meat!

Comment

Wow Chris, that turned out beautiful! Congratulations on a great cook. Prime Rib is one of my favorites.

Comment

Nice job. Since I've started smoking prime rib, I really don't enjoy ordering it in a restaurant any more. Just not as good.

Comment

Proper! that looks just fantastic!

Comment

Beautiful! Congrats!

Comment

GeorgiaPine - Chris, that is one really fine cook! Congrats and kudos to ya.

Comment

Chris. That looks fantastic!! What is your opinion of the Uncle Chris' Gourmet Steak Seasoning from Academy Sports? Peppery? Garlic? Would you use it again?

Comment

Looks good. I do prime rib for Christmas every year as it is always on sale at our local Publix Christmas week. I have used the Smokenator with 2 oz. of hickory. It took about two hours at 225 to get to 130 (my target temp) and then I blast it over high (1000 + degrees) on a separate grill with the coal grate within a few inches of the food grate. I rotate the meat a quarter turn every 30 seconds and get a fantastic mahogany bark and perfect edge to edge med rare. I use the BBBR after dry brining for 36 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by jlazar View Post
                            Chris. That looks fantastic!! What is your opinion of the Uncle Chris' Gourmet Steak Seasoning from Academy Sports? Peppery? Garlic? Would you use it again?
                            Personally, I love the flavor. It's more of a briny, garlic flavor accented with other flavors that blend very well with beef that I can't put my finger on. I've used it hamburgers too and the response has been, "that's the best burger I've ever had. What did you put on it?" It is my go-to beef seasoning/rub.

It's a seasoning that while you're cooking with it, you can't help but sprinkle a bit in your hand to sample as you cook. Yes, it's that good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here