Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Reverse Sear, life changer.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Reverse Sear, life changer.....

Words cannot express how good these steaks were. I only feel sorry for all the steaks I've ruined in the past listening to incorrect myth and lore.

I'm heading to the metal shop,in the morning to have them bend a lift for the coal grate as I don't want to have to deal with bricks everytime I want to grill a steak.

Congrats on a good steak cook. Oughtta consider a Slow 'N Sear. It's a real game changer for anything on the kettle from steaks to ribs.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
      Congrats on a good steak cook. Oughtta consider a Slow 'N Sear. It's a real game changer for anything on the kettle from steaks to ribs.
      It's on my Christmas list. Wife says I'm hard to buy for, I gave her a link to here and said "anything with a gold rating will do!"

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect plan!

Polak, Huskee is giving good Advice in Regard to the S 'n S in MHO! It is not only a game changer Grilling Steaks but it seems to improve all aspects of grilling and Smoking with A Weber! 👍👍👍👍👍. Eat Well and Prosper, Dan

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed! It is a game changer!

• Polak
        Polak commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, if it ain't under the tree on the 25th, it'll be in the mail on the 26th!!!

I do not have a SNS, but I do have a Vortex and it is by far the best add-on I have for the Kettle - especially for steaks and wings in the cone side up position.

The vortex allows a full temp indirect heat of 450+ degrees, not sure the SNS can do that.

It also offers searing temps of 700+, not sure the SNS can do that either.

I haven't use th Vortex in the cone side down position because I would just assume us he PBC at that point.

Welcome to the reverse searing club my friend! Do yourself a flavor and make some homemade infused ghee (clarified butter) to put on those steaks before searing. I love a good garlic or jalapeño ghee, but use whatever you like. Heck, even plain clarified butter is better for searing because of its higher burn temp than butter.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        "Sear" is in its name after all

• HC in SC
        HC in SC commented
        Editing a comment
        Right, but from what I have seen the SNS just gives a separation of coals, it doesn't channel and focus the heat to a point like the Vortex does. I'm not saying the SNS doesn't sear, but I don't think one can achieve the super high temps of the Vortex with indirect cooking or searing.

The SNS does look way better designed than the Smokenator I will say. Since I'm in the market for a Lang this year I am not buying anymore kettle accessories. I have gotten to where I use the kettle mainly with the Vortex anyway -- the Smokenator might as well be scrapped or yard saled.
        Last edited by HC in SC; December 1, 2015, 10:31 AM.

Reverse Sear!!!! Combine that with the Thermpen, and I have not over-cooked or poorly cooked a steak since I started. And last weekend I cooked 225 Ribeyes, from 7/8 to 1 inch (hand cut by moi).

Comment

Boy, that is a real tough question to narrow down the life changer. There have been so many accessories, devices, and methods that have come together over a considerable length of time that have changed my outdoor cooking life. The most significant method would be wet brining. The most significant devise would be the Pitmaster IQ 110/120, which allowed me to maintain temperature all day. The biggest revelation would be you can add too much smoke, a little goes a long way. The greatest impact from this site has to be the magical Memphis Rub. It was a game changer.

Comment

I have the Vortex and the SnS. I haven't use the Vortex since receiving the SnS. My steaks has improved 100% with the SnS. Just my 3 cents worth...😎

Comment

The SnS is on my Christmas list with a *need badly* next to it. Notice the absence of the word "want". Also on my wish list are the 26.75 Weber Kettle and a PBC. I put the PBC as the lowest priority. If I get it the PBC will go up-north to be used at my parents' place on Lake Charlevoix. Last year I toted my 14.5 WSM up there and it worked REALLY well for our cooks. However it would just be easier to have a dedicated cooking device up there. Also, since we are vacationing up there it would be nice to cook pork ribs because the cooking times are 'relatively' short. The 14.5 just doesn't have the capacity to cook pork ribs for 8-10 people. It does however have enough capacity for short-ribs for a crowd that size. Also, over the 4th this summer we are renting a house up there and will be vacationing with 3 generations of another family (the patriarchs were friends since before I was born and we used to vacation together for a week every summer - the 3 girls in my generation are like sisters to me). The PBC has the capacity to cook 6-8 slabs of baby backs which is what I'd need for 20 people or so, along with: Red beans and rice or Pork/beans and coleslaw or Caesar salad and garlic bread. Alas, summer is SO far away! :-(

Back on topic...I am really happy for Polak discovering the virtues of the reverse sear. I was first introduced to it years ago in "Cook's Illustrated". Once I tried it I never went back. It's simply a superior way to cook cuts like NY Strip, but I am preaching to the choir on this.
            Last edited by JeffJ; December 10, 2015, 05:37 PM.

Comment

The iGrill2 I received a year ago and amazingribs.com! I've been grilling for over 40 years but controlling cooker temperature and cooking to the correct internal temperature has changed my life at the grill, both of which I learned here!

Comment

Christmas with the in-laws yesterday, S&S and Weber Hinged Grate under the tree for Polak! Sadly, it was raining when we got home last night and it's supposed to rain all day/night today. And now we wait......

Comment

They reverse sear is definitely a game changing technique but would not have been possible without the #1 most important gadget Meathead said I needed to acquire... The Thermapen!👍

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here