Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xmas prime rib rub and technique help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm also trying to figure out if I should go the the meat shop or a super market for the meat. I'm leaning towards the meat shop but they are about 25-40% more expensive :/. But I think it will turn out better. I've gotten prime steaks from them and they are amazing.

One day I need to find a tri-tip / steak rub. I've been experimenting for years and have some good seasonings but nothing I can call my own just yet.

Any thoughts? Dry brine for 4 hours for steak and 8-12 for tri tip I assume if not 24. The steaks we get are 2" they love me at the meat shop

Comment

Hey there @flynhawaiian,

I just went through this whole routine with my family.

I went with a costco boneless prime ribeye roast. It was about $9.99/lb at costco and I got a 13lb roast. I cut one 2" thick slice off for a nice ribeye steak and then cut another 3lb hunk off for a practice run. I did end up cutting off a ton of the fat off the end because there was plenty of fat in the marbling of the roast. All in I'd say I cut 4-5 lbs off of fat, but the end result was excellent!

I did the first part of the roast a week early and left the other part of the roast to age in the fridge for 5-7 days. I applied my rub the night before for cooking the next day. If your family has a bunch of allergies then you'd know best what to put in there, pepper is always a favorite for me with garlic and salt, rosemary and thyme for a little extra herbal flavor.

As far as technique, I cooked the roast very low (200 degrees) with the theory behind it being that if I cook below the boiling point (212), not a lot of the juices will boil out. Once the internal temperature reached 110 degrees (anywhere from 2.5-4.5 hrs depending on size of roast), I put it on the hot coals until it reached about 125, then let it rest for a half hour or so. That gave me an excellent medium rare prime rib. I also made some excellent au jus that I added to the au jus that was leftover from the roast, which i made by rendering some of the beef fat (not too much, a couple tablespoons or so) with fresh garlic and some cracked pepper corns, adding rosemary and thyme. Once all that flavor was infused together in the fat, I added some beef broth and let that reduce down a bit.

This worked great for my family with no complaints! Buying the whole ribeye roast from costco helped save a bunch since I bought it in bulk and it allowed me to do a test run beforehand. Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	125372

Comment

My friend this is what I do, First DON'T over think it. your cooking a big roast buy the best you can afford, prime is wonderful choice CAB is wonderful, buy it larger than you need cuz your guests are going to sing your praises and the prime rib samys the next couple of days will be THE BOMB sounds weird coming from an old guy, but true. I buy them with the bones on but take them off cook then for snacks or to make stock. you can have your butcher trim and tie it up for you if you cook with bones on 1/3 of the roast has no seasoning on it and that is no good. salt it heavy it will take it, its a big roast and you have a long way to the middle wrap tightly in plastic wrap put on a 1/2 sheet pan or something in case it leaks a little put it in the bottom or coldest part of your ice box three or four days wont hurt day before you cook mix equal parts of fresh cracked black pepper, gran. garlic, gran. onion. put on a nice coat don't be afraid big roast day of you'll need a drip pan big enough to go under meat put a couple qts. beef stock if you don't make your own low salt or no salt put meat over drip pan insert remote temp probe cook 275 to 325 your choice till about 110 and put into pre heated cambro to me that's an ice chest that I heated for an hr. or so with hot water for 1 to 2 hrs. leave probe in so you can monitor temp of roast should be 120 or so reverse sear on hot grill grates turned upside down cranked all the way up to 500 on your Rec Tec, sear strain your jus check for seasoning and serve will be some pretty good groceries for you and your guests and family. your final temp should be 135 140 rare-med rare. I hope you enjoy your holiday what ever way you decide Merry Christmas
        Last edited by Papa Bob; December 3, 2015, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Do you think doing it directly on the original grill grate, or should I use my "grill grates".

Comment

For what it's worth, I have cooked rib roasts by doing the initial cook to 130F in a water bath with an immersion circulator to bring the roast up to the appropriate level of doneness. It takes about 10 hours. Then after drying the surface of the meat, I finish it on a rocket-hot gas grill. I have done it on Grill Grates but find, since I'm trying to form a crust and not just looking for grill marks, that using a metal plate on top of the Grill Grates works better - sort of like using a hot cast-iron skillet.

As far as rubs go. I just like salt & pepper, preferring just to taste the flavor of the cooked roast.

Comment

Welcome to the club Flyn! I did such a prime rib about on month ago on my RecTec pellet smoker. I did follow Amazingribs guide as to cooking by the inch, rather than pound. I set my smoker temp to 275 at 30-minutes per inch (set at 250 if your weather is very warm). Once the meat got to internal temp of 120 I cranked up the temp to 375 until the meat was about 135 (a nice medium rare).
              For pellets, I use Bear Mountain brand (as a BBQ near me sells that brand). Their pellets use Alder as the "heat" wood and then whatever flavor wood you choose. My choice for all things beef is 75% oak pellets and 25% hickory. I call it my "Texas" blend and for me it adds a nice subtle smoke.
              For the rub, well again I have a simple seasoning I like for beef that my dad used for years: 3 parts kosher salt, 1 part each of medium-coarse black pepper, granulated garlic powder and paprika (regular or smoked). Season liberally all the way around at least 4-hours prior to cooking so the salt gets into the meat.
              I did mine with the bones on (basically cut off so I could season the meat all around, then tied back on) but I know Meathead likes to do the bones on the side - whatever works for you.
              So overall, I want my prime rib to taste like .... prime rib! Simple seasoning, light smoke. Have a great holiday and I hope this helps! Ken

Comment

When would you recommend purchasing it? The 23rd or would you go for the 20th? Since time is coming up short figured I should find out. I use a pellet off amazon. I've found its low on exterior smoke and high in flavor. They are in California I believe.

Comment

• Ken Goldenberg
                  Ken Goldenberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That depends if you want to put a little aging on it. If so, wrap it very loosely with parchment paper so air can circulate around it and place it in the lower back of your refrigerator for about 3 days, then trim as needed and season at least 4 hours to overnight before putting on your smoker.
                  If you don't want to age it, then buy it 2-3 days before and leave wrapped until time to trim and season.
                  Costco (or Sams Club) have great beef at reasonable prices, but this time of year Safeway (Von's ) and many markets carry prime rib. Albertsons in some areas often has a great selection and even sets up a specific refrigerated case just for rib roasts and other holiday cuts. Ken

Since I've never bought one at Costco I just see ads for the seasoned ones. Do they not have unseasoned or can you just ask in the back?

Comment

• Ken Goldenberg
                  Ken Goldenberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, Costco sells unseasoned rib roast, and usually around this time they have both USDA Choice and Prime. Not sure on the prices, however I do recall about 2 years ago choice was about $9 pp, prime was $12. For me personally, I go for choice and have always had great results.

I talked with the butcher at Costco in San Diego and they said on the prime they will be doing a French cut and cutting the fat off from the inside bones. You might want to take that into account. He said they will have them next Saturday or Sunday!

Comment

BTW: Costco, at least online, has authentic Japanese Wagyu boneless rib roast at $109 per pound, minimum size is 11 pounds. So...You can either get this roast, or an iPad Pro!

Comment

I am doing my 5-bone rib roast on my Big Green Egg. I ordered from my butcher Thanksgiving weekend and he has been dry aging it since then, so it will have about 30 days of age on it. I have him cut the roast off the bone and then tie it together with the bone before aging it. This makes it much easier to carve when it is done. Just snip the strings, pull of the bones (save them to have an amazing treat the next day) and then easily carve the roast. I agree with others that a simple salty dry rub is best with good quality beef and especially dry aged. Let the beef shine. I roast it on the Egg at roasting temperatures...350-375. I do put some soaked wood chunks (I like pecan) on the fire. At roasting temperatures, you really aren't smoking, but this gives the meat a nice subtle smokey flavor. I agree with others that I take it off when the internal temperature hits 125 degrees for medium rare. I use an iGrill with two probes in the roast at different places to monitor the temp.

One more thing...you can do the same thing I am saying on your pellet grill. Just pick the wood pellets you like, set the temperature and you are golden. I still recommend using a temperature monitor like the iGrill...or use a good instant read thermometer. I like the iGrill because I only pierce the meat once (twice with two probes) and it stays sealed.
                    Last edited by ChrisLovesHisBigGreenEgg; December 14, 2015, 10:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to add this.

Comment

Came out amazing. My igrill and I get along really well. I have the ambient probe as well so I can keep an eye on the grill temp. Here's a pict of how it turned out!! Tasted amazing!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                        HorseDoctor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looks awesome, even upside down! Congrats on a job well done! Or better yet congrats on a great job done medium rare... LOL!

Not sure why it came out upside down. If you click on the picture it's the right way. Go figure

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here