Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Select-grade beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Select-grade beef

Browsing the meat selection at Costco, I saw Prime-grade tri-tips at $13/lb. I hastily searched for the Choice-grade tri-tips, and found them at $10/lb. I chose the latter.

Then, I started thinking about 'The Other Red Meat': Select-grade.
    Select-grade has less fat, and thereby less flavor. But if you stumbled upon it, with no thought of meat grades, how would prepare it? Would you prepare it like any other lean cut of beef? Are there secondary things to worry about, like general toughness, or tendons, or ... ? Is it good for cubed-beef chili? (I think ground Select would be fine for chili.)

Select brisket. Definite 3-day dry brine. Maybe a tad more rub on the flat, but nothing excessive. Hope they want more chopped than sliced.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      I just did a select brisket last weekend. Found it at my local Wally World on sale for 2.69/lb. Didn’t turn out bad at all…..I would do another one but I think I would cut straight down separating the point and flat, then just cook the point and make corn beef/pastrami out of the flat.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Dadof3Illinois many times there is not much difference between Select and Choice in the brisket bin at wolly world. Typically, the really small Selects are the worst (5-6 pounders).

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here