Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First pastrami is on the kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First pastrami is on the kettle

11 lb packer sliced in half and given MH's 'strami treatment. My parents are hosting a charcuterie party this evening and this is my contribution. Meat was on at 5 am, aka scotch o'clock.
    Attached Files

That is amazing!

Comment

And here I though I was alone enjoying the burning beverages before 9am...

Comment

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        HAH! Once after the Navy Days and before the College Days (after a multi-club-all nighter ) we bought a case o' beer before 8AM and gathered outside to "cheer-off" the folks leaving for work.

Hair of the Dog!

My next pastrami is going to get chopped. It works so well on my regular brisket.....

Comment

• JohnF
        JohnF commented
        Editing a comment
        Chopped Pastrami? Let us know how that goes.

8 hours on the smoke, just flipped 'me to bark up this side a bit, other side is barking beautifully. I am currently waiting out the stall.

Comment

Nice! Thumbs up on the Glenmorangie too!

Comment

This is quite possibly the best thing I have ever Q'd. Hats off to Meathead for knocking yet another recipe out of the park. This disappeared really fast at the party, I got many rave reviews and I still have 5 lbs in my fridge for the week. I will be dreaming of tomorrow's sangers all night.

Comment

From tonight's leftovers, I did sangers on rye with absolutely nothing else. This is true love, best thing I have ever Q'd period.

Comment

Right? The first time I did this, I couldn't shut up about myself for a week. So good!

Comment

bbqoaf that had to impress the heck outta your friends & family at the party, slicing pastrami from the giant hunk. Nothing more primal and satisfying than that. That is a beautiful picture too, you take good nature shots and food too.

Comment

• bbqoaf
                  bbqoaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the compliments! The outdoors and Q are two of my greatest passions, add the $2 Camera+ app on iPhone and you can masquerade as a talented photographer.

Ha, it was great slicing up the giant meteor in front of everyone, a true spectacle.

Did you steam that pastrami before serving, bbqoaf ? Or did you just take it to 2-0-3 and serve?

I gotta say that's one beautiful pastrami. I'd have had a hard time sharing.

Thanks in advance,
                Kathryn

Comment

• bbqoaf
                  bbqoaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I took it to about 160 on the smoke then wrapped with a little more liquid than a normal crutch to take it to 203. It was mainly due to time but it came out pretty perfectly, I don't think I'd change much in the method next time.

It was very difficult to share indeed. The deal was my Dad bought the whole packer, and I got to keep half for turning it into pastrami. I still have half leftover and my wife and I definitely opted to invite no one over for dinner last night!

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good call on that second night feast, bbqoaf . So you didn't do Meathead's steaming step at all, sounds like. That's how I'm going to make my next pastrami: take to 180 or so to really set the bark, crutch to 203, cambro for 1-2 hours and serve. The steaming step makes much of that delicious crust fall off, at least that's how it was for me in the other pastramis I've made.

Kathryn

Looks great! bbqoaf

Comment

• bbqoaf
                  bbqoaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks!

Super job

Comment

• bbqoaf
                  bbqoaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here