Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A stab at chuckie redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A stab at chuckie redemption

Hey folks, today I am smoking up this gorgeous chuck roast from Click Akaushi. I'm hoping to redeem myself from the epic disaster of my first "grudge match" cook, with chucks from Wild Fork and our local Wegmans up for comparison, both of which came out dry, tough, and nearly inedible. Hoping for a much better outcome today!

I suppose I could have waited until afterwards before posting the results, but instead I'm lettin' it all hang out in real time, so if I fail again, there will be noplace to hide. Tune in during the day and find out...!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220624_083732.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1241778

Name:	20220624_083752.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1241777

The cut is 4.3lb/2kg, dry brined overnight w/coarse kosher salt, rubbed with Mrs. O'Leary's Cow before going in the Pit Boss Copperhead on the low-T "SMOKE" setting (~120F/49C) for the first 45 minutes, then set it to 250F/121C for the rest of the run. Here it is rubbed up and just put in the smoker, then after that "smoke" step.

Name:	20220625_064600.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1241779

Name:	20220625_073426.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1241780

Wish me luck!!

That is a mighty fine looking chuckie. Good luck

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Ain't it just?? Looks a lot like the one Mosca posted about the other day, also from Click, and I think we ordered them within a couple weeks of one another.

Beautiful hunk o' meat!

Comment

Smoke on brother! waiting to see!

Comment

Ours was fantastic. We had some rain, with more forecast, so I did it traditionally, in the Dutch oven as a pot roast.

Chuck is really so versatile, isn't it? I have another one yet. I'm going to let the heat subside, and then I'm going to restock a few of them. That might be the best bargain on a site overflowing with bargains.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. I've ordered several different items from Click but I keep coming back for the chuck roasts.

DaveD Your technique sounds good, that is what I've done with the Click chuckies that I've made. I wrapped like a brisket once the bark was set and the stall was ending. Mine both took about 9 hours to cook at 250o on my kamado.

Comment

Progress report: Proceeding nominally. As usual, the estimated time remaining from the Meater+ app is an excellent measure of the onset of the stall.

2.5 hours in, IT 115F/46C, Meater's ETA says 2:56 to go.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220625_090548.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	1241852

3.5 hours in, IT 150F/65C, Meater ETA 2:34, only 22 minutes less despite an hour having elapsed. Dig the juices starting to pool on the surface, stall is imminent.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220625_100550.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	1241853

In the 20 minutes since I took that last photo, the ETA has risen to 2:41. Diagnostic for stall onset. And the change in shape of the roast is very noticeable, look how much less elongated it looks now compared to at the start. If you look very closely you can see the "bathtub ring" on the Meater probe because the surface has pulled down.

Keeeeeeeep gooooooiiiiinnnng...

Comment

These are an exercise in patience.

Comment

This baby is looking more gorgeous and delicious by the hour. And it smells divine!

4.5 hours in, IT 164F/73C, Meater ETA 3:19.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20220625_110843.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	1241927
              5.5 hrs in, IT 173F/78C, Meater ETA 4:00. The cut is looking rounder and rounder...
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20220625_120202.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	1241926

Temp profile shows obvious stall:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220625-122637.jpg Views:	0 Size:	393.7 KB ID:	1241928

Edit: I think I am also going to try the foil boat method to make it less likely that the roast dries out like the two did on my grudge match. I came across this video of a guy who did a foil boat plus some butcher paper on top, which ought to help get through the stall, if I decide to use the paper as time goes along. There's a good bark on there and the color is wonderful, so I won't begrudge more smoke I reckon.

Name:	20220625_124651.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1241948

Name:	20220625_124759.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	1241947
              Last edited by DaveD; June 25, 2022, 10:57 AM.

Comment

That looks beautiful! BTW - your chuckie looks to be more marbled than the ones I did. I hope the three I just ordered look like yours.

Comment

Wow! Putting in the boat really sped things up. IT up to 183F/84C 10F/6C in just 30 minutes. ETA now reads 40 minutes! I didn't even put any butcher paper on. There are some nice juices pooling in the boat... figure when it starts probing tender I'll pull it out, affix some butcher paper on top with the foil, and into the FC the rest of the afternoon until dinnertime. Also dropped the set point to 225F/107C, don't need it to finish quite so fast. Not what I was expecting at all...

Name:	20220625_132143.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	1241971

Comment

What a succulent piece of beef. I have high hopes following this thread 💯🔥🔥🔥😁🐿

Comment

Tapping the brakes worked just right. Got a Hobbitish Second Stall.

Name:	Screenshot_20220625-152323.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1242014

Lots of lovely juices in the boat. IT 198F/92C, with some spots probing super tender and over 200F/93C. Meater estimates only half an hour remaining, and that feels about right. Here's the latest beefcake shot:

Name:	20220625_150321.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	1242015

It'll go into the FC soon, then I'll be making sides of steamed zucchini and we'll split a mondo honkin baked tater. Them juices are going to be very nice poured over our beef...

Comment

Looks great, looks like a success.

Comment

It’s looking very nice. Hoping you find it tastes as good as it looks. I think somewhere in the back of my freezer I have a Click chuck or two. This cook has me looking forward to doing one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here