Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead's Pastrami Almost Katz's-Wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead's Pastrami Almost Katz's-Wow

So I tried the Pastrami recipe today and sad too say...Just didn't cook enough.... This is really good if you have not done one yet. Pretty much followed that recipe with a little chili powder listed as an option. I used the store bought corned beef. Next time, I think that I will corn that brisket myself.

Can you make up for not cooking long enough by a longer steaming?

My first try I corned the flat. Was good. The second I bought a corned beef and it was better. No, IT WAS GREAT!!
    I need to work on my corning.

Congrats on a good one!

Comment

Something I have always wanted to do! Beautiful I bet it's fit to eat! 👍👍👍👍👍. Eat Well and Prosper! Dan

Comment

Looks pretty good swine. What was the IT when you pulled it? Both smoke and steam?

Comment

My wording could have been misunderstood? I meant that I did not cook enough in quantity. I cooked it all on a my Weber 26.75 at 225F with 3 applewood chunks . Once I saw the stall, I crutched at 160F. Then cooking to 202F. Removed from foil to crisp up the outside a little bit. Then lowered the Weber to about 150 to keep warm.

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          "Never mind, that's very different," (Gilda Radner)

I did misunderstand!

Yep, it's a great recipe and I like one of the newer edits - cook it to 160ish and then bring it to 202ish at the steam. I've done both with no discernible difference.

Comment

Looks awesome Fine Swine! Yes Meathead's recipe is great isn't it? It does always seem to go too quick too. For the effort required, especially if you spend the time corning it yourself, it's just gone too quick.

One the subject of smoking to what temp...

I didn't care for the bark (or lack thereof) when I took it to 160 on smoke day and 200 on steam day (160/200). I prefer to take it up to bark (180-190), if not the full 200 on smoke day myself. When I sliced my 160/200 brisket the seasoning was softer, still paste-like, and came off on the knife.

Here's a couple pics

160/200:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG7323.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	122919

200/200:

Name:	IMAG6530.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	122920
          Attached Files

Comment

And this was my last one - to about 160 in the smoke and then steamed to 203. Did you make the corned beef or buy it; wondering if that would somehow make a difference.

Name:	22049731874_cb2bac8240_o.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	122976

Comment

My next pastramis (next week, maybe) I'm going to take to 203 an not steam at all unless I have a nice tight bark. I hate it when all the surface seasoning sloughs off in the steaming step. Plus I start with already-corned briskets and boyohboy is the pastrami flavor OTTW.

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I await your findings. The last one I did I considered not steaming, just enjoying a corned & smoked brisket. My guess is it will still be very much dee-licious.

New member, researching this method for my first pastrami. I am definitely going to brine/corn my own, but I just wanted to drop a line and say THANK YOU to all of you guys who are posting these amazing pictures and commenting on your different techniques. I can't wait!

My first pastrami is going to be for Christmas Eve at my place... can you guys tell me how long yours took both wrapped, unwrapped, etc.? I know there's a lot of variability, but I've never done brisket, so I don't know what to expect. I've done a ton of pork butts and they are pretty variable - same weight, 9-11 lbs, will take 7 hours one time and 11 hours or more the next, to reach that internal perfection of 203. It's worth the wait, no doubt, but I am just wondering if there is the same variability with briskets, or if the different meat is more predictable?

Any comments?

And thanks again!

Comment

That's awesome! Those sandwiches look terrific.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here