Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 Pound Snake River Farms Wagyu brisket done in 6 hours...possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 Pound Snake River Farms Wagyu brisket done in 6 hours...possible

Cooked a 14 pound brisket on my Primo XL grill ... injected in 6 hours...internal temp 203...is that possible? Afraid to pull it off because it seems way too fast...now granted temp was at 300 degrees but appears moist...thermometer easy in and out

Yes, Wagyu briskets will cook faster. Check this out: http://www.paradisemeats.com/blog/wagyu-briskets

Comment

I hope you let it rest a couple of hours before you served. How did it turn out?

Comment

• Christobol
        Christobol commented
        Editing a comment
        I take it you don't believe in the 'no rest needed theory' that's recommend on the site then? After reading the entry on the site and the summary of 'so you're probably missing a couple of drops per bite' I started to wonder how much effect those drops have. So another study would be: do 1, 2, 5 drops of liquid affect the mouth feel, and perceived dryness of meat? Then at what point does something go from the perfect moisture (rendered fat) content to being too much? Though the latter is likely more of an individual taste.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Christobol you've got your recipes mixed up. Brisket needs to rest. Check out the "Hold" step of the brisket recipe. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

One also has to consider the OP cooked at 300F, which is high heat when it comes to barbecue. When using high heat on a brisket the rest is even more critical to give connective tissue and fat time to render out.

Christobol (et al) it's important to remember that the "no rest" advocated on this site applies to steaks and such, NOT large hunks of meat. Large hunks like pork butts and briskets in 95% of cases NEED TO REST. The rest we're referring to here is not resting 5 minutes to re-absord juices, as is popular theory in resting steaks. What we're referring to regarding briskets and pork butts is resting, wrapped, in a faux cambro or real cambro if you have one, for an hour to four hours. THIS resting period is further softening and rendering of collagens and fats which is VERY necessary in these large clods of muscle. You pull steaks off and eat them hot hot hot, no rest needed. You pull briskets and pork butts off at or near the 195-205 range, wrap them and rest them to soften them and delishify them.

We need to remember we're referring to two separate styles of resting here, applied to two VERY different pieces of meat and different cooking styles.

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Oops I responded above before I saw you beat me to the punch Huskee.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        No prob PB. This confusion comes up often. I think I'll start using the word "hold" instead of rest when referring to cambro to help differentiate.

• Christobol
        Christobol commented
        Editing a comment
        Doh, got it. Too much reading in a short period of time so it didn't all absorb correctly.
        Last edited by Christobol; August 27, 2014, 03:35 PM. Reason: didn't make sense originally

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here