Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef back ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef back ribs

So I was in Walmart minding my own business, looking to buy Plugra butter for my Ghee.
    I passed by the meat section and saw these beef back ribs.

Fast forward and hour later, I pulled out the last PBC beef and game rub, had about a tablespoon left. Rubbed the ribs with peanut oil and Worcestershire (SP) sauce.

Fired up the PBC using Kingsford competition charcoal. Hang the ribs at 6:57 PM. I said to hell with gadgets, let's see how much of a power cooker this thing is.

Opened a brew and a little cognac, catch up on some work

Decided to check on the beef at 9 PM and it registered 177 degrees on my meat thermometer.

A tooth pick went through it like a hot knife into room temp butter. A few spots were slightly stubborn so I gave it another 20 minutes.

Here ready to cut

These were some of the best beef ribs I've ever cooked. Tender, juicy. I used one small chunk of Cherry wood.

No foiling, spritzing or monitoring temps. Keep in mind I have been tuning the PBC to my liking.
    I have never followed the manual.
    Last edited by Ernest; August 22, 2014, 07:48 AM.

Right on man, when I cooked beef back ribs I said the same thing- some of the best I've ever cooked. Beef ribs are a welcome change from pork, not that they're better, just a welcome change. Well, honestly I'm leaning toward the side that likes beef ribs better. Just leaning though, not sure.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Let's be honest, beef ribs are better than pork ribs.

looking good Ernest

Comment

Thats amazingly good looking!

Comment

Just awesome, need to get me some beef ribs!

Comment

I want to try them too, but they are $6.50/lb around here. Can get strip steaks on sale at the same price!

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            I hear ya.
            Reason I love beef ribs is they taste better than brisket and I don't have to mess with cooking a whole packer.

• Bill P
            Bill P commented
            Editing a comment
            Ernest, after looking at your pictures again, I think I might have to fork over the $. Got to try those ribs.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            You won't be disappointed. I just had folks over and they specifically asked for beef ribs.

Look great! I just made short ribs for the first time and I like them a bit better, like steaks that come on their own little plate.

Comment

OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here