Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib Roast - Fat Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breadhead
    replied
    Hmmm... My method when using one of @Meathead's recipes is to execute it exactly the way he wrote it... The first time. With his background and experience I know beyond a shadow of a doubt he knows a lot more than I do.

Plus... If you read the process one of his recipes goes through before he will list it on his website, many people have signed off on it.

I've rarely found it necessary or desirable to riff on his recipes... Unless I was out of some ingredients.😎

Leave a comment:

• Mark.ibbo
    replied
    Thanks guys , I'm doing a prime rib roast today, I've removed the bones and fat cap for this cook and have dry brined for 24 hrs as well. I've got the pit sitting at a steady 225 and I'll reverse sear when it's near the target internal temp. I know on this site there is varying views on resting vs non resting but I was planning to rest it brisket style while the veges roast and reverse sear before serving

Leave a comment:

• W.A.
    replied
    I did before I found Meatheads recipe. I now follow the recipe and remove the exterior fat and render some down to make "beef love", and freeze the rest for hamburger grinding. I keep rib cap attached though so there still is lots of fat there and you can baste it with the beef love if you want to, but I use that for steaks.

Leave a comment:

• JohnF
    replied
    Well, I have done a couple of prime ribs in the oven where I removed the fat cap, applied the seasoning and then tied the fat cap back on, they turned great, better than without the fat cap, don't know have not tried that and probably won't.

Leave a comment:

• jgg85234
    replied
    Low and slow followed by a reverse sear is great, but leaving the fat cap on just removes a lot of space where you could have a delicious rub on the meat.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Mark.ibbo
    started a topic Prime Rib Roast - Fat Cap

Prime Rib Roast - Fat Cap

Hi all, just curious if anyone has tried a low and slow prime rib roast with the fat cap still on? I know there is a lot of information saying to take it off. Just curious as to whether anyone has every left it on for the sake of curiosity or just a plain sense of adventure

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here