Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with 9lbs of beef bones - stock? Broth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with 9lbs of beef bones - stock? Broth?

No dog, so gotta cook em’. Any ideas? From what I have been reading you can do a stock or broth after roasting them.
    Attached Files

Homemade beef stock is the best. This recipe is for chicken stock but I've made it from pork and beef bones too. https://smellslikefoodinhere.blogspo...-cookbook.html

Comment

Bone broth in the insta pot. I understand the beef variety should be browned in the oven to give them flavor. I have done chicken feet and most of the carcasses from leftover poultry cooks. Supposed to be good for your tendons and ligaments and cartilage n such.Cover the bones with water and add quarter cup ACV. 90 minutes on high, slow release. Pour off into clean salsa jars n refrigerate. Consume inside of a week/ten days.
      Last edited by Alan Brice; January 17, 2022, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Jeff Smith, who was called the Frugal Gourmet and had his own cooking show back in the 70's/80's, had a great recipe for basic brown stock from beef bones. Here is a text version I found. His original recipe is in his cookbook Cooking with Wine.

Basic Brown Soup Stock by Jeff Smith the Frugal Gourmet (angelfire.com)

From this he would reduce it to make brown sauce (much thicker) and then reduce even more to make glace de viande.

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          The Frugal Gourmet was the series that got me interested in cooking.

Fer starters, ya can dang danged sure freeze ya most of em / rest of em.

Meantimes, I'd likely make a me up some kinda stock with some, in th Present

Open to any Questions, as to jus how that there particular feat might be accomplished....

Comment

Make stock. Many recipes on line but they should be roasted to make a "brown" stock; no roasting makes a white stock. Jacob Burton has good videos and recipes on YouTube at Stella Culinary. Also, you can freeze the stock and it will last a long time. Very handy for many cooking uses.

Oh. I really like the price you got. I pay much more.

rob

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup. Roasted.
            All I got here, at present.

+1 on roasting.

I get together a few instapots and make about 2 gallons at a time then pressure can it so it’s self stable. It’s an all day affair but during the winter months it isn’t so bad.

Comment

Roasted marrow if they are long bones.

Comment

Roast the bones. For a bit more fun, do it on one of your grills. Then for every pound of beef bone, add 1 pound of veggies: onion, carrot, celery in equal parts. For my 12 qt stock pot, I do 3 lbs of bones and 3 lbs of veggies. Roast the bones at 400F (give or take) for 30 minutes. Rough chop the veggies. Add a handful of bay leaves. Add a handful of dried mushrooms (shiitake is a good choice). Fill the rest of the stock pot with water. Bring to a boil. Back off to just barely simmering. Skim the foam off every 30 minutes. Simmer for 6-8 hours. Start taste testing about hour 5. Add some salt as needed. Don’t over do the salt.

Once you decide it’s done, pour the stock through a colander or cheese cloth. Get all the veggies, bones, etc out of it. To keep it for a while, I put 3 cups in a quart ziplock and freeze it.

:-)

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                I roast the veggies along with the bones. Then everyone goes into the pool.

K.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc good idea

Homemade beef stock is da bomb. Make stock with them

Comment

Birria tacos!! Load em in (not all of them lol) with the beef and you’ll make a beautiful beef consume in the Birria for dunking the tacos later.

Comment

Somewhat OT, but still useful to this discussion -- Some cooking authority (can't remember who) did a taste test of stock made with the veggies cut into large pieces (as is normally suggested when making stock) versus stock with veggies cut into bite sized pieces as if making veggie soup. Apparently the flavor was much improved by cutting the veggies smaller. I haven't done a taste test to confirm, but I figured chopping the veggies smaller takes only a few more minutes of work and isn't too much trouble, so why not?

Comment

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've started cutting the veggies smaller and I think the stock flavor is improved. I don't do it pretty, cause I'm not serving them anyway. Just rough chop to about bite size.

• JeffJ
                    JeffJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That makes sense. More surface area.

Chef Jean-Pierre Beef Stock

Comment

I love all the suggestions about roasting the bones along with roasting (blackening) carrots and celery and then boiling all that for hours on end. From that point, I strain it and take out the chunks of bones and veggies. And one of my favorite uses for that stock is to use it in my pressure cooker to cook dry beans. It imparts such a wonderful flavor to the beans that it's almost not necessary to "do" anything else with the beans except eat them!

Comment

• IowaGirl
                      IowaGirl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think Kathryn fzxdoc has said she likes to cook beans in the pressure cooker using water rather than stock. I always followed the common wisdom to use stock if I had it to cook beans, but I have to say I think Kathryn's right -- I'm partial to the flavor of beans cooked in water, now that I've compared the two.

Those are beggin to be made into a tasty Beef Pho (Pho Bo). Long simmer with charred onions, and ginger - throw in some rock sugar, then a sachet of spices - coriander, star anise, a few cloves, cardamom. A touch of Fish Sauce.
                    Serve over rice noodles, some slices of beef, bean sprouts, thai basil, fresh coriander. Optional add some thin sliced red chili peppers, hoisin and some Sriracha for a kick.
                    Man, now I'm hungry...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here