Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite rub for Beef Back Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite rub for Beef Back Ribs?

Ok, I've got a slab of back ribs I saved from my Christmas prime rib. Thawed them out and they are now dry brining on a rack in the fridge, to smoke for tomorrow's dinner for the two of us.

Never having done this beef equivalent of baby back ribs, I plan to treat them just like I would baby backs, smoking for 4-5 hours at 225F on the SNS Kamado with the SNS tomorrow. The only question I have is what rub would go best with beef? And do I need to wrap them at any point?

In the pantry, without spending time making anything else, I have the following:

- Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust
    - MMD
    - Hank's Bonafide Beef
    - Hank's KC Royale
    - Hank's Signature Steak
    - Flatiron Pepper Co. Dark & Smoky BBQ Rub
    - Rendezvous Rub (both commercial and recipe from the free side)
    - Hardcore Carnivore Black
    - Hardcore Carnivore Red

And of course, its salted - could just sprinkle some pepper and garlic powder and call it done too I suppose.

Any advice appreciated! My last ribs were Asian themed baby backs that were awesomely good, but its probably too soon to repeat that treatment. And I want to taste the beef and not a bunch of sticky Asian flavored glaze this time...

I'll be sad when all of Henrik 's rubs run out, but I'm going to enjoy the heck out of the 5 bottles still left in the pantry.

Jim
    Last edited by jfmorris; January 10, 2022, 10:02 PM.

I’d vote for a Hank rub!

Comment

Bonafide is great on back ribs. There's no real reason to go 225 on 'em, I do 250 on the kettle, or 275-ish on the PBJr. and they usually take 3.5-4 hours.

Comment

Salt and pepper. Taste the meat man, not a bunch of seasoning.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          +1

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yuuup

• big_mack
          big_mack commented
          Editing a comment
          are you dry bringing with the salt and pepper or just right on the cooker? And are you using the 1/2 tsp of kosher per lb rule or just eyeballing it?

Ive done a fair amount of beef ribs on my Egg. 225 works fine, but 250 works just as well in my opinion. I personally do not think you need to wrap them, especially since you are cooking on a Kamado style cooker. They do a pretty decent job at holding in moisture, so wrapping will just make it difficult to create a nice bark. As far as rubs are concerned, I'm a very simple person and prefer salt and pepper on most beef cooks. Good luck!

Comment

Just S & P I reckon, add a little G if you are feeling fancy

Comment

Since you have dry brined you can keep it simple and just go with some course black pepper; maybe let the can of granulated garlic fart in their general direction.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              In my advanced years I have come to appreciate farting myself.
              Last edited by Troutman; January 11, 2022, 05:58 PM.

Here's APL's recipe, I've done it several times and they are good. https://www.villagevoice.com/2010/05...s-from-bbq-25/

Comment

I use Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ef-rub-recipe/) on beef short ribs all the time. I think MMD would be too sweet, and I don't use pre-mixed rubs (mostly due to the salt content) so can't comment on those. I never tried the Cow Crust, but that sounds good to me too.
              Last edited by Murdy; January 12, 2022, 08:46 AM.

Comment

So many rubs, so little time. I have to say old reliable still works, salt and pepper.

Comment

S, P, and G.

Comment

Ok folks. I'll try just S&P on the next run. This time around I left the first two respondents, STEbbq and mnavarre , combined with the fact I have less than 1/4 a bottle left of Henrik 's Bonafide Beef Rub influence me to go with that choice this time around. The slab is on the SNS Kamado at about 260F right now.

Comment

• jhoskins
                      jhoskins commented
                      Editing a comment
                      pic?

@johskins Here's a pic from when I dropped it on the grill.... I didn't go super heavy, and just rubbed both sides. This is a 6 bone slab, as I sacrificed one bone's worth to making the Christmas Eve gravy to go with the prime rib... but I still think this will be plenty for two of us to gnaw on tonight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7503.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.65 MB ID:	1157742

EDIT: Since I got a late start on these and want them for an early rather than late dinner, I pushed the cooking temp to 275F. Hopefully they will be done around 6pm or so.
                    Last edited by jfmorris; January 11, 2022, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Well, 3 hours in, and the meat probe I inserted between two bones (easier to do than with pork ribs, as they are much farther apart) is up to 190F, so I better go dial the cook down or it will be ready BEFORE dinner time, haha!

Edit: Back from the grill. They are starting to probe tender, 190-192 most places between the bones. I'll start checking them every 15 minutes, and did dial the cooker temp down towards 225F.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7506.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1157807
                      Last edited by jfmorris; January 11, 2022, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here