Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help: Briskets semi-frozen, need to serve in 14 hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Briskets semi-frozen, need to serve in 14 hours

OK, well I have 4 beautiful choice-plus briskets, wet aged to perfection and I'm cooking them to serve for brunch tomorrow morning for church at 10. I started prepping late, about 6:30, and found out the new bbq fridge was too cold, and the 3 of the 4 were partially frozen. They range from 12 to 16 pounds.

I've got them on the counter, trimming what I can. The flap on the point is sort of frozen folded over on a couple of them.

I'm thinking I'll trim what I can, salt and rub, and put them on.

Then, in a couple hours, I'll unfold the flap and put some rub on the bar areas.

I'm cooking in my large gravity-fed insulated cabinet. I have been cooking the first 4-5 hours at 225, then upping to to 275, wrapping in butcher paper at hour 10 until probe-tender.

I'm thinking I should start them at 225 for a couple hours, then up to 275, and if they are not progressing in time, I'll need to wrap in foil at the end, particularly for the large one.

HELP, Please.

paul

Sounds good. If you have thawed surfaces then you should be good to go.

Comment

The regular size three were all at or over 200 and probe tender at 5:15, 7.75 hours into the cook.

The bark on the 2 on the bottom rack had much more distinct pock marks from the fat dripping from the overhead briskets than I have seen before
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5019.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	115267

Name:	IMG_5016.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	115268

This is how I had them laid out

Name:	IMG_5015.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	115269

Name:	IMG_5018.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	115270

THe big boy, 14 pounds trimmed, was at 190 and close to tender. I'll let him hang out there for a few minutes.

I am thinking about setting the ones with the oily spot and the pock marks back on the pit for a little 15 minute finish up at 6:40 right before I head up to church. I'll scratch the bark again after they've been in the cambro an hour.
      Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here