Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to try making Pastrami for the first time - pointers appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, for a variety of reasons, yesterday's scheduled cook did not take place. Instead, I put the flat on the smoker about an hour and a half ago. And discovered that my Yoder isn't feeding pellets. If anyone has a suggestion, HELP!!

Comment

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I'm probably too late to help this time, but did you figure out what happened with the Yoder?

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      willxfmr, Looks like I'll be placing a call to Yoder Customer Service first thing tomorrow morning. If they don't help, I'll have to pull the old WSM out of the garage and unretire it.
      Last edited by Draznnl; January 16, 2022, 05:37 PM.

As I mentioned on the other thread, Yoder Customer Service is overnighting me a new controller. I have unretired my WSM. The pastrami flat and some Dino ribs are cooking on there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9477517C-C7FF-46A1-9A6E-9968538B5B98.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1160972

Jade wants to help, but she is banished to the indoors for now.

Name:	FD257BB0-A3B2-4BD0-853D-B8A7F7014F49.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1160971

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      How can you keep your deck clean without Jade??? Scraps could fall and just LIE there!!

My phone was dead so no pictures of the meat being sliced or plated, it here is one of the food storage bag from the fridge with today’s lunch. BTW, it is delicious.

Name:	D2035BD5-1E3C-4A7E-821A-9F82580FC0F8.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	1161830

Comment

So did you take it all the way to probe tender or did you pull it at 150° and steam it as Meathead suggests in his Close to Katz' Pastrami recipe , Draznnl ?

Congrats on a good cook!

Kathryn

Comment

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        I took it all the way to probe tender. I will go to 150 next time and SV from there, just to get an idea of the difference.

So this thread is timely as I am making pastrami his weekend. Since I will have multiple cooks going at the same time, I think I am going to try the SVQ method MBMorgan, Joey877 & Troutman all referenced. One question: Is there anything to be gained by applying the rub to the flat and letting it sit overnight in the fridge BEFORE the sous vide step?

Comment

• efincoop
        efincoop commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman just to be clear you dry brine after you corn the beef and desalinate it?

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh gosh my fingers typed before my brain engaged. NO dry brine was needed after corning, of course. So sorry for my screw up. Just seasoning for me.

• efincoop
        efincoop commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL! Thanks Troutman!

I have never tried that with pastrami, but my experience with sous vide says it would do you no good as the rub will all come off inside the bag in the bath. On the other hand, it certainly won't hurt anything other than potentially "wasting" some pastrami rub.

I also came across this old thread that was linked in another thread earlier today. I'm intrigued and plan on trying the smoke before the sous vide step. It basically says cure, apply pastrami rub, put in fridge for a few days, smoke to 170, then sous vide at 195 for four hours. Four hours in the bath (as opposed to 24-36), especially after smoking through the stall, should result in significantly less shrinkage in the bath and would leave the rub intact...I think. Here is the link:

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        That's one of the best pastrami topics here on The Pit, IMO. I've used Dave's method as described there many a time with boneless shorties and it turns out amazing every single time.

Kathryn

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        You actually do retain some seasoning plus you have the benefits of a seasoned purge. But like pre-smoking your mileage will vary.

Since no one else shared these I thought I would.

↔️↙️◀️⬆️▶️⬇️↗️↕️

I think that just about covers all the pointers I can share. Enjoy!

Comment

I am in the process of making some pastrami out of Pork shoulder. I had some laying around so I figured.....why not?

I will be really curious to see how i like it. I have about 10 more days to wait though..........

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking forward to it. Did you slice it or pull it? shify

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker - I sliced it. If memory serves me correctly, I smoked til 185 or 190.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Copy, good to know man. Thank you. shify

Help, I'm conflicted!!! I was going to follow the SVQ method referenced on page 1 of this thread, but I needed to pull the meat of the desalination water last night and wasn't sure if I should apply the pastrami rub or not. It was late so I coated it with the rub and tossed it in the fridge . Then I started thinking I would follow the Dave Parish method. I'm just not sure I have the time to get it done start to finish in time for service time (4:30 PM) on Saturday. So I have 2 options. I can smoke it tomorrow (I have the day off) then chill it and sous vide it at 195 for 4 hours prior to serving on Saturday, or I can brush off the rub and put it in the sous vide tonight for 30 hours and finish it on the smoker to bark up Saturday. I guess a 3rd option would be to go hot & fast on Saturday and put it in the sous vide once the bark is well set.

Thoughts?
        Last edited by efincoop; January 20, 2022, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          I can smoke it tomorrow (I have the day off) then chill it and sous vide it at 195 for 4 hours prior to serving on Saturday,
          This. Pastrami cooking flow is 1) cure to be corned beef, 2) Desalinate 3) rub and smoke to about 150 or so, 4) moisturize (steam, SV)

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 Smoke it, bag, seal and quick cool it, then SV the day you need it.

Thanks rickgregory . I must be dedicated or crazy!
        Attached Files

Comment

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          Send some of that warm weather my way please! It's getting downright chilly here.

I’m relatively new to SV but just recently had outstanding success with a pork loin roast. Thus, I’m inspired to use the method again for a pastrami especially after reading the posts in this thread extolling it’s virtues.

I plan on using the MH ‘Close to Katz’s’ rub recipe since I’ve used it previously and really like the flavor. I would also like to use the SVQ method on this but I’m debating between the MH method or the Parrish variation. Since I do not have short ribs, would the latter method still work - smoke first then SV - as well? Or should I go with MH method and SV first, smoke second? I’ve got plenty of time to tease out all the details. Planning on desalinating Saturday night/Sunday morning in preparation for the SV if that’s the way I roll.

Since this is a 7 lb CBB, should I adjust my SV time since it’s calibrated for a 4 lb CBB using the MH method?

Name:	FFA34092-8D6B-4F9C-94EC-BD77E0A37405.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1185694

Comment

• Draznnl
          Draznnl commented
          Editing a comment
          I've not yet tried SVQ for pastrami. When I do, I'll probably use MH's method first and improvise from there. I wonder what Troutman, the Pit's pastrami pro suggests you do.

Yes, you need to adjust, increase, SV time for a larger piece of meat.

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          I use the Parrish method with the exact cut you have there, and it works great. To me, there really is no better way to make pastrami.

@Drazni , I think something was highly overlooked in quest for pointers. It’s right there in plain sight. Look at wayne T ‘s avatar. He’s the one to show you the way.

Comment

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          🤣🤣🤣

Hoo boy! And now I find this third method for pastrami.

“Two-Week QVQ Pastrami” A: 12lb packer cured into corned beef, 5-7 days (use Blonder wet cure calculator or recipe from “Serious Eats”. https://amazingribs.

Are 2 Qs better than one? The beautiful thing is, I can try any of these methods using SV the first time knowing I can do the other two on my next cooks. Being retired and curious about food sure has its rewards.

Regarding the adjustment to SV time based on weight, it seems it’s more a function of thickness of the meat than weight, if the added weight doesn’t come from additional thickness but from length or width.

In conventional cooking using a pan on the stove, the oven, or a barbecue grill, the cooking time is the main variable you have to decide upon. We all know easy rules like bake a turkey for 20 minu…

I know MH cited several sources for this in his book SVQ Made Easy, but I don’t think this was one of them. It’s pretty darn nerdy stuff, right up my alley. Apologies in advance for any duplication of effort.

Comment

WayneT , I follow the stefangourmet.com blog as well. Since he is from the Netherlands, his European-based food safety recommendations do not always align with those in the US, but you can get the drift. His tests are always interesting to read. Kosher Dosher is a good one to follow as well, if you like the picky nerdy vibe of food blogs, which I do.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; March 7, 2022, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't follow it per se but I may start on your recommendation. I'll check out Kosher Dosher too. Thanks!

WayneT I assume that piece of meat is already corned so that part of the process is done for you. Just make sure you desalinate it with several water changes a minimum o 6 hours or preferably overnight. After that, all pastrami is is a piece of corned meat roasted or smoked until it's to the desired finish just like any other hunk of meat. If it were a brisket cook it like a brisket. As to SVQ, the beauty of sous vide is it's pretty hard to over cook anything. Eventually it will turn to mush but a piece that big will probably take 18-22 hours to SV then you just have to sear it off in your smoker. Don't overthink the process, it's not that hard.

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, mine is already corned so I'll start at step B in the Polarbear777 method referred to above for pastrami, which is very similar to your QVQ recipe for brisket. Since I typically cook my beef to medium rare, both these methods appeal to me.

His brisket was a 12 lb packer whereas mine is a 7 lb flat. He SV'd his for 72 hours at 135F and you're suggesting 18-22 hours - at what temp? That's a huge time difference and want to make sure I'm not missing something.
            Last edited by WayneT; March 7, 2022, 11:46 AM.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea his method (and one I employ as well) is for medium rare brisket. For pastrami you want higher heat, like 165*F. I typically do my chuck rolls (about the size of your piece) at 165*F for 22 hours. Then sear. I'm suggesting you give that method a try. Pre-smoking doesn't do much for you when cooking at higher heat, you will get the bark you want and not have to worry about over shooting a medium rare finish for pastrami. Make sense?

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            I think so. I'll use that approach - 165F in the SV bath for 22 hours, then I'll sear/smoke at 350F to IT of 135F. As you said, I don't want mush as a result.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here