Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first reverse sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first reverse sear

I've grilled a lot of steaks, but usually use the normal sear method, but I found this site recently and decided to try the reverse sear.
    The steak was a dry-aged bone in ribeye, about 1 1/4 inch thick. I pre-salted the steak 2 hours before it went on the grill. I filled the chimney starter to about 80% full and spread it out over 1/2 of the 22.5 inch Weber kettle. I had a chunk of hickory nearby so I decided to throw that on the coals too.
    I cooked it indirect for 15 minutes, flipping it every 5 minutes before taking it off to get the coals hotter. The temperature of the steak at that point was 111. When searing, I flipped them every 30 seconds for the first two or three minutes. After that, the fat melting off was causing a lot of flare ups, and I stopped watching the clock. When I took the steak off, it had seared for 5 minutes and the temperature was 130. I took the picture after cutting the bone off and cutting it in half length-wise (my wife's half went back on the grill for another minute to get to medium).

The steak was among the best I've ever had. Tender, with great flavor from the sear.

Brent the pics aren't showing for me. Can you repost them using the "Upload Attachment" icon instead of the photo icon? They come out better that way. I explain in tip #4 in the welcome and announcements channel.

Comment

OK, here is another another attempt at my picture.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverse Sear Steak 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	1159

Comment

Brent that's an excellently cooked reverse sear steak, not even counting it was your first effort. Bravo!

For next cooks try and monitor temps during the low and slow portion to maintain 225F. When it comes time for the sear try to get coals even hotter, or better yet, even closer to the steak. The steaks will just keep getting better and better with practice

Comment

Good job brentt! It looks like it should be on my plate.

Comment

Originally posted by brentt View Post
            (my wife's half went back on the grill for another minute to get to medium).
            Why is it the Women-folk always seem to want Medium to Medium-well? My female is the same way.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here. Although I will say medium isn't bad, I can eat that.

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Not my wife when it comes to beef. She's wants it cooked just enough that she doesn't have to chase it down when she puts a fork in it (says she has to chase kids all day and she'll be damned if she's gonna chase her food, too.)

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine likes it Medium Rare... Not close to Rare and not close to Medium. There's a very narrow band of Medium Rare she finds acceptable before she gives me the "You Can do Better. Why did you let me down?" look. Harshest critic EVER I tell you.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here