Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1.25 thick ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.25 thick ribeye

Best way?

Hot grill and flip often
    Smoke and then sear

Thin steaks work great at 500 on my Yoder, but theses are thick and pricy

I’m a hot grill and flip often guy on steaks less than 1.5 thick. At 1.5 i like a reverse sear then hot grill. There may be a change on the horizon though. I had a ribeye SVed to 130 then a very hot sear, it was great.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto, I use grill grates on my Traeger

How long in SV?

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually do 90 minutes

I generally SV at 130 for 90 minutes, but I've done 60 in a time crunch and the steaks came out great. Then I add dome rub and throw them on the hot grill for a quick sear.

Comment

Reverse sear at 225-250 then inferno sear

Comment

SV at 129* then Cast iron sear until 135-140 or desired temps. I have a photo in the show us what you are cooking of a 1.5”-2” ribeye from yesterday with this method.

Comment

I almost always SV steaks nowadays. Also a fan of 129F and then sear on a ripping hot flat surface, either cast iron pan or the flat side of GrillGrates (usually the latter for us). 1.25" is no big deal for SV, they'll be at temp in 60 to 90 min and can hold there for a few hours if need be. Good luck!

Comment

Haven't done SV but a friend keeps making noise.
            1.5 any meat is good, I prefer a little thicker because it's easier to cook.
            Reverse sear, Weber kettle, indirect, throwing apple chips at least twice, at 125 rest for 15 to 20 min or as long as a chimney needs to fire lump completely, dump, 60 seconds then inferno sear baby!!!
            Always awesome

Comment

At that thickness I’d reverse sear. Start’em on the cold side of my charcoal/wood grill, pull them 15°F below my target temp, then get the fire rip roaring hot and sear!

Comment

Reverse sear.....I have been putting them in my pellet grill (set at 220) until 115 internal. While this is getting close (I do like to take it off and rest for 10-15 minutes to stop the cooking process) I fire up my Weber gasser with a GrillGrates Griddle until it is about 500 and sear both sides for 75 seconds.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here