Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrapping Brisket in Pink Butcher Paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrapping Brisket in Pink Butcher Paper

I am doing a brisket Saturday for family from out of town and I am going to wrap the brisket in the pink, unwaxed butchers paper. I am following Aaron Franklin's technique, inspired by the video he did comparing not wrapping, wrapping in foil, and wrapping in butchers paper.

I have wrapped pork butts in the butchers paper and I must admit the technique was rather unwieldy.

Has anyone wrapped with butchers paper and if so, could you explain in detail the technique? I will be adding 4 oz. of apple juice when I wrap

TIA

I put one layer with the extra stuff on the bottom of the fat cap, laying fat cat down, I don't bother adding any juice whatsoever.

Comment

Jerod Broussard I am confused. What is "extra stuff"?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        The excess paper.

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard Got it, thanks. Curious as to why you don't use liquid when you wrap. I thought the liquid was to braise the meat to power through the stall.

FLBuckeye How wide of paper do you have?

I bought a roll of 18 inch and a cutter, and could get it to work, but the 24 inch roll is easier. Tell me what size you have and I'll give you the technique I've settled on.

I would not add any liquid to a butcher paper wrap. The liquid becomes a brazing liquid in the foil wrap, which accelerates the cooking process. Butcher paper is that in-between naked and foil.

I'm now exclusively using butcher paper for my briskets! Have 4 BEAUTIFUL ones, the 1855 Upper choice, wet aged 6 weeks...I can't wait!

Comment

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        PaulstheRibList I have the 18" roll. Didn't see the 24" roll available

I wrap and place in a foil pan. Just easier to handle that way. Sometimes put a rack in the bottom, that keeps the brisket from sitting in its juices. And definitely do what Jerod said, let the brisket sit on the extra paper.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        CandySueQ You wrap and place in a foil pan or put the meat on a rack inside the pan and wrap?

I never add any liquid anymore. There was a time when I did but, I don't find that it makes a difference.

Comment

Is there a link to that video comparing paper to foil?

Comment

Where is the best place to source butcher paper? I know there are a lot of restaurant supply stores out there. Anyone have a good one.

Comment

• BigBear
          BigBear commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had good luck buying equipment at KaTom Restaurant Supply, although I usually buy stuff like this at Sam's Club.

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          webstaurantstore.com has them all and the cutter stands. Works great!

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          amazon

Hmmm... FLBuckeye ...

If I remember correctly you're a BGE guy?

Mr Franklin is NOT a BGE guy.

There is a difference in the cookers... Factor that in.

BGE's don't dry meat out like other cookers do.

I've tried wrapping in my BGE just out of curiosity. I didn't like what it did to the bark.

But... I'm a hardcore low and slow guy. I cook at 225°. I don't turn the heat up to get through the stall. I don't wrap.

I know my cooker! I know a brisket takes 16 to 18 hours at 225° on a large BGE. I know I am going to cambro it for 2 to 4 hours.

I get good bark, a good smoke ring and great tasting moist briskets...😎

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          If wrapping messed up your bark you wrapped waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early.

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead No I am a Weber guy all the way. I am cooking the brisket on my 22" kettle using the SnS
          Last edited by FLBuckeye; October 12, 2015, 06:30 AM.

I wrapped with about 2-3 oz. of apple juice. Turned out really tasty and very moist Passed the "pull test" with flying colors. There was a quite a bit of juice pooled in the bottom of the butcher paper that somewhat leaked out when I transferred it to my fax cambro but all in all I was (and my guests) very happy with the finished product. I ended up laying two long sheets together and wrapped using my silicone bands I use for holding together my pork butts

Comment

I just saw the Franklin video before coming here. Excellent information. I just did my first brisket on my Weber using the Slow & Sear a week ago. 14 hour cook with no wrapping. Turned out excellent. Good bark and good flavor. I am now going to get some butcher paper and give it a whirl. I think foil is out for me from now on unless I am under the gun and time is the enemy.

Comment

I've wrapped several in butcher paper, and, as long as they are high-quality briskets (mine were Prime or better packer briskets) I think it is ideal. Only liquid is spritzing the paper a bit. If cooking Choice, or just a flat, then I think foil may come into its own (which Franklin himself mentions). I don't find it hard, but then again I have put out a couple over-sized sheets of paper on a large table, and use insulated gloves to handle the meat. I don't expect to go back to foil unless I can't get a quality brisket. However, you do need to make sure you have plenty of bark before you start, as it is only going to get softer once you wrap. Wrapping in foil will soften the bark even faster. As someone else mentioned, per the video & experience, wrapping in paper is more-or-less in between not wrapping and foil wrapping. Timing is also interesting. Franklin says not to wrap until "way into" or "after" the stall, while many others say to wrap to help power through the stall, so YMMV!

Comment

• FLBuckeye
              FLBuckeye commented
              Editing a comment
              I buy my briskets at Restaurant Depot and buy CAB briskets only. My membership at Sam's runs put next month and I am pretty sure I am going to switch to Costco because they have prime cuts

If I don't have any pink butcher paper on hand, can I use parchment paper?

Comment

• FLBuckeye
              FLBuckeye commented
              Editing a comment
              Parchment paper might not be sturdy enough for a brisket. Not entirely sure though. You could try parchment but switch to foil if it doesn't work

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't see why not. It's heat resistant & not coated with anything. Should work fine.

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you FLBuckeye and HorseDoctor for your feedback. I guess it won't hurt to try a time or two.

Looking to buy pink butcher paper for my maiden brisket voyage. Should I buy 18" or 24" width?

Comment

• Draznnl
              Draznnl commented
              Editing a comment
              I use 24” but ymmv.

Buy 24", for sure.

I still do side-by-side overlapping layers on brisket, but for smaller things like pork butt a single is fine. I considered the 18", but got the 24" and I am super glad I did.

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              I prefer foil, but I also do 24" pink paper.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here